straw as mulch

• 14 Replies

1jim

straw as mulch
« on: May 26, 2010, 15:08 »
Hi
I have just bought a coupld of carry bales of straw (£2.50 each..not sure if thats ok price or not) and plan to put them around plants as a sort of mulch to try and keep them moist in this dry weather. Have not done this before so is this an ok plan or is this a big no no? If I do this do I just put it around the plants or do I need to weight it down so it doesnt blow away? Once this is finished for the year do I just dig in to the soil as an improver or does it go on the compost heap
thanks
jim

Goosegirl

Re: straw as mulch
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 16:37 »
Anything that can keep moisture in is a plus in this weather. I would put it on but keep the plant stems clear so any watering / rain (???) can penetrate and no mould on the stems should develop. Regular watering should stop it blowing away as will some soil added on top. As for digging in, it will help the soil structure but as it rots down, may deplete the soil of nitrogen. Having said that, next year, manuring should make up the difference.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

SarahB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 17:24 »
In one of Joy Larckom's books she says that straw mulch is the best thing she's found for increasing earthworm activity.  If it's anything like the grass clipping mulch I've used, the worms will pull a lot of it into the soil for you by the end of the season.

Livinhope

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 17:33 »
£2.50 a bale is the standard price.  They used to burn it a few years ago.  It's worth asking for any old bales first.

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 17:39 »
I always look for old bales. Even if there's a bit of mold in them, they're fine after you spread them out. I love straw as mulch as it's easier to get then other mulches and it also helps suppress weeds to a great extent as well as keen in moisture. It does need to go on thick though to be useful, at least 6" loose and when it rains it will pack down to half and trap in moisture.

Livinhope

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 18:28 »
Is it okay to use fresh grass clipping as a mulch for things like runner beans and peas, marrows and even between the rows of spuds, or will it encourage weeds?  Some info on this would be handy if anyone can spare time.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2010, 18:46 »
Grass clippings make a good mulch unless the grass was seeding merrily away when it was cut (dandelion and other seeds not great either!)  ;)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2010, 19:56 »
I'm sure I've read somewhere that it's not advisable to use grass clippings in compost or as a mulch if you've put weedkiller on the grass before cutting it.

Don't know whether anyone else can confirm my recollection or not?
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2010, 21:00 »
I'm sure I've read somewhere that it's not advisable to use grass clippings in compost or as a mulch if you've put weedkiller on the grass before cutting it.

Don't know whether anyone else can confirm my recollection or not?

Yes you are right Yorkie; very bad idea to mulch with grass which has been treated with any chemicals until it is safe to do so.

Another thread is currently running on that particular topic;

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=57626.msg677399#msg677399

Livinhope

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2010, 21:22 »
Read the thread.  What I would be using is straight lawn mowings which have been neither wed nor fed and the only weeds are daisies.  I seems a shame to compost it all and I understand you need to vary the bin content and not use all grass mowings.

Very scientific this compost business.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2010, 21:33 »
Very scientific this compost business.

I know what you mean Livinhope!

Composting is as simple or as complicated as you want to make it; nature makes sure it all finishes up in the same place eventually!  :)

Uncontaminated lawn mowings are a good and safe mulch for almost anything (hopefully enough said!)  :nowink:

Jo W

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2011, 15:45 »
I'm also using straw in my garden. I had a beautiful weed free veggie garden. I spent the day with the row triller then I raked it smooth and put my straw down. I then went on a 5 day trip and came home to wheat growing as thick as grass in my garden. Any tips on what to do? How best do I clean this up? I'm hoping I dont have to rake it up, till and then spread it all out again.

Trillium

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2011, 21:49 »
The farmer must have been very careless with harvest as I've never had that problem with straw. Are you sure you got straw or hay? Hay is a definite no-no as it's full of seeds that will grow as you've described.

Simply pull out the new growths you don't want and drop on top of the mulch. Sounds like you have a bit of pulling but it's easier than pulling off all the mulch first. Do not let any of the mulch seeds grow on as they'll take over.

Gandan57

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2011, 22:40 »
Most straw will contain some grain, especially barley straw.
I`m left handed, what`s your excuse?

Swing Swang

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2011, 22:46 »
I've also had a lot of grain seed in my straw this year - much, much worse than in previous years

xx
Straw as a mulch

Started by maddave on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 01, 2016, 20:46
by 3759allen
xx
rotten straw bales as a mulch

Started by vegypete on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post December 27, 2012, 15:33
by vegypete
xx
Barley straw as mulch/weed suppressant

Started by boddy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 20, 2015, 11:45
by moose
xx
can i use mulch for.............................................?

Started by 3759allen on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 11, 2014, 11:08
by 3759allen

Page created in 0.372 seconds with 38 queries.