red mite

• 2 Replies

robinson

red mite
« on: May 25, 2010, 22:57 »
I have found my first red mite in the coop this evening. 
This maybe a silly question but how is the best way to get rid of the contaminated bedding?
Also, how do you treat the ground around the coop.  When I clean out the bedding some falls onto the ground which is a lovely dust at the moment.  I am assuming that the girls will then walk over the ground and the red mite will jump onto them and go back into the coop.

Your advise would be much appreciated.

Paula

hillfooter

Re: red mite
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 01:12 »
The only sure way to get rid of Red Mite is to use a pesticide which has a residual (long lasting) effect in the house.  Milbenex is a very good long term solution but needs careful handling and is only available from Bowden & Knights (you need to phone them and ask their advice google their site which will give the contact number.)  

The non pesticide solution is regular and frequent deep cleans with a detergent and spray with a disinfectant.  If you have a steam cleaner they are very effective at getting into the cracks. Detergents only work on contact so those hiding in the cracks will escape.  If fact RM is easy to kill but very difficult to get at.  Poultry Shield is a popular cleaning product but has no residual effect.  

Inspect and try to eliminate RM harborages (fill in cracks don't use roof felt etc.) Once the major infestation is gone use Diatom powder in a slurry with a disinfectant such as Vanodine V18 which you add the Diatom to it stirring to a light batter which you paint on the perches and into corners and places they colonise.  Don't waste your cash on Barrier Red Mite powder or spray which isn't effective though smells nice.

Burn the bedding but you won't be able to stop them finding their way back to the house so zap them in their harborages near the chx.  There will be plenty of RM eggs waiting to hatch so you have to keep at it.
Best of luck
HF
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 01:21 by hillfooter »
Truth through science.

73Westboy

Re: red mite
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2010, 08:23 »
I have had similar problems with red mite and tried various expensive products, which were meant to clear up the problem! The technique I found to be most "enjoyable" was using my butane weed wand to blast the little critters when they come out at night! I would get all the hens out of their house and blitz them! This has not proved to be a long term solution though.

I have tried Jeys fluid, which does not work. The original formula used to be a lot more effective.

The solution I have recently found is Poultry Shield, this is a potent and excellent product. I have sprayed the whole house with this using a pump sprayer and also keep some in a small hand sprayer for targetting small groups of them, which can sometimes aggregrate on a fallen birds feather.

If you are fed up with red mite, buy some Poultry Shield, and use this as part of your regular poultry sanitation measures. I bought 5 litres of it for about £25 including delivery and this will dilute down to 50 litres. I would suggest using regularly for the first one to two weeks, and then once a fortnight should suffice. During the colder, winter months, red mite should not be such a problem.

Good luck and I hope this post is of help to all with red mite concerns!

xx
Ulti-mite red mite treatment

Started by Honeysuckle on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post April 15, 2012, 08:03
by ehs284
xx
Is red mite the same as red spider mite?

Started by Carla on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 24, 2010, 14:47
by Carla
xx
Red Mite v Red Spider Mite

Started by Bodger on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 27, 2008, 20:03
by Miss Bean
xx
red mite

Started by sussexchook on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 29, 2015, 13:12
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.253 seconds with 38 queries.