New to ducks and need some advice!

• 24 Replies

matilda duck

Re: New to ducks and need some advice!
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2009, 20:37 »
Hi there i've just read this post and realised where you are!!!!   Just down the road from me sort of!!!!!!!
 If you want some ducks give me the nod..............I know where there is a special place by us where there are some beauties.
You just have to have an idea of what you would like :tongue2:

mollie15

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2009, 10:03 »
Hi Matilda Duck, could you let me know where the ducks are available from please? :)

matilda duck

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2009, 14:19 »
I've pm'd you!   Hope it helps    sam x

flangey

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2009, 15:28 »
Hi everyone, sorry to jump in on your thread mollie but I'm thinking of adding a couple of ducks to my chicken family.  I've already had some good advice from here, but one thing I was going to ask, if Mollie doesnt mind, in my research, I've read that ducks shouldnt have mash as it blocks their nostrils and can get infected.  I feed my chucks on layers mash and they will all be free ranging together and they like to go back and forth to eat during the day, so would I need to shut the chuck food away from the ducks or would they not bother eating each others food?
Your ducks are fab Kate, I can't wait to get mine and was very interested to hear what yoiu said about the Khaki Campbells, I've now decided to go for Silver Appleyards.  What have you dedided on Mollie? :)

happy hen

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2009, 16:25 »
Hi' new to this forum from Kent,
I am also looking for ducks - decided I want 2 miniature silver appleyards to free range with my bantams. I have a small stream running through the garden so I hope that will be ideal.
Does anyone have any for sale? or can they put me in touch with any breeders in the siuth east.
I really want 2 female as I don't intend to breed (yet!!) as next year I will be concentrating on breeding my millefluer peins.

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2009, 16:46 »
Always nice to see more people getting interested in ducks. :D

Flangey - Ducks can have problems with mash getting in their nostrils and I always feed mine on pellets. Apparently it isn't such a problem if they always have fresh water available to wash their nostrils out. The problem is them that they make the water mucky really quickly with the mash and the mash soggy with the water! Unfortunately if the mash is about they will probably have a go at that too if they can get to it.
Good choice too on the Silver Appleyards. Sally (my one) is a lovely duck, pretty, friendly, good layer and was a great broody.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2009, 17:10 »
Does anyone have any for sale? or can they put me in touch with any breeders in the siuth east.

We've got a strict no selling or buying policy through the forums, HH, so can't help with your specific query, but you could have a look at the poultry suppliers list (follow links at the top of the page).
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

happy hen

« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2009, 17:42 »
 SORRY SORRY SORRY !! I didn't relise you had a no buy or sell policy here - obviously didn't read the small print.
I will let you know how I get on when I do eventually find some ducks.
At the moment I have a mixed flock of bantams which free range in 1/2 acre garden

mollie15

« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2009, 09:33 »
Hi, after lots of advice and research I too have decided to go for the mini Silver Appleyards thats if I can find some, hubby is on holday for the next couple of weeks so will be trying to locate some and will be travelling about abit I think!!  Cant wait!!!

Foxy

« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2009, 09:44 »
oh lovely! silver appleyards are soooo pretty, saw some the other day, really lovely, hope you can find some! :D

xx
Advice please on ducks

Started by Tattyanne456 on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post September 03, 2010, 21:56
by tammyc
xx
Advice re Ducks....

Started by Prod on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post February 23, 2013, 12:39
by Prod
xx
New Baby Ducks - Advice

Started by darrena on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 28, 2009, 11:05
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
need to re-home ducks advice please

Started by gayleshort on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post June 05, 2011, 15:13
by joyfull

Page created in 0.23 seconds with 39 queries.