John's diary

• 3 Replies

noshed

John's diary
« on: June 12, 2006, 23:52 »
So is it really true that your birth caused Trentham Gardens to fall into disrepair?
Good luck with the caulis anyway - if they're Australian though won't they get confused with the seasons?
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Re: John's diary
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2006, 10:03 »
Quote from: "noshed"
So is it really true that your birth caused Trentham Gardens to fall into disrepair?
Good luck with the caulis anyway - if they're Australian though won't they get confused with the seasons?

Not quite that cause and effect! They've been a bit of a constant in my life and I was surprised by the improvements. The garden centre is more like a boutique than a traditional centre. Funny thing is that despite being very stylish (which usually means superficial and no substance) it has a good range of products.
Most of the shopping village is geared to tourists, you know expensive trinkets - but you can still spend a cheap day there and enjoy the walks - although Val's dad isn't up to long walks nowadays.

On the cauliflower - I was surprised about them being Australian myself  - but RHS Garden Merit was the thing that made me go for them as well as being geared for a May / June sowing.

I was really disappointed by losing my cauliflowers. I thought I had done everything right, followed all those NVS tips and techniques only for them to turn into dead lumps in the ground or produce golf ball sized curds.

I'm pretty convinced that they drowned, the bottom of the plot is so wet despite being deeply dug but May was unbelievable. The wettest drought ever!
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

noshed

John's diary
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2006, 11:17 »
It's amazing what garden centres sell these days - I think Homebase has definately lost the plot - hardly any plants at all in our local one. Just loads of barbecues. I couldn't get any pots in there the other day - thank goodness for the pound shop.

My caulis and sprouts look amazingly good - particularly given the fact that (a) I haven't got a clue what I'm doing and (b) I got the seeds free with a magazine. I've ended up with them in cylinders of plastic bottle - not absolutely sure why but they are thriving. I'm sure I've planted them too close together though. I'll put a pic up.
Fantastic rain last night - just what was needed. I was starting to fret about my seeds seeing as I'm stuck at work late yesterday and today. (Just because I'm at my desk doesn't mean I'm actually working...)

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
John's diary
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2006, 12:09 »
Distinct feeling that I would have done better scattering the seeds at random!

As for Homebase - I have a bit of a downer on them but that's because I worked for them for a while and it's a long story :)

I'm afraid the traditional garden sundry suppliers either go the boutique route or die. One lesson I've learn't in business is that you can't fight the market. I think some people just want decking onto the astroturf and a designer BBQ.

xx
John's latest allotment diary

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post July 03, 2021, 11:35
by rowlandwells
xx
thank you john

Started by pawsnclaws on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post May 20, 2009, 17:54
by pawsnclaws
xx
What Exactly Is John Innes?

Started by PembsPanther on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 17, 2012, 23:55
by Salmo
xx
Thank you John Harrison

Started by Sapphire on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 25, 2008, 21:32
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.456 seconds with 38 queries.