Can you name that fruit?

• 12 Replies

suesowsseed

• Experienced Member
Can you name that fruit?
« on: February 17, 2009, 16:03 »
Hi everyone,

I have just bought a pack of three fruit canes from Aldi, a bargain at £2.30, but the canes are not individually labelled so I don't know which is which fruit.  Can anyone identify them from this picture? The one on the left is thin and green, the middle one is pencil thick and woody, far right is similar but a bit thinner. Hope you can help as I want to pot them up and label them.

Thanks
fruit 1.jpg

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Can you name that fruit?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 16:10 »
Is the one on the right thorny? looks it.....if so it's a gooseberry. One in the middle looks like a raspberry...........dunno about the lefthand one. ???

But i thought the ones from aldi were colour coded on the outside of the box, to match the ties inside....just a thought, may have got it all wrong (as usual) :lol: :lol:

suesowsseed

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 16:14 »
Sorry, should have said, (I was too busy trying to resize the image), one is a gooseberry, one is a redcurrent and one is a blackberry, I just don't know which is which. Nothing was colour coded, just all three in the same bag.

Greengirl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 16:20 »
Left - thornless blackberry maybe
Middle - red currant
Right - gooseberry

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 16:25 »
Right - gooseberry
well at least we agree on the goosgogs :lol:

mikem

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 16:40 »
Left - thornless blackberry maybe
Middle - red currant
Right - gooseberry

I agree with Greengirl.

suesowsseed

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 16:46 »
Thanks,

The one on the right is definately thorny so must be the gooseberry. Guess I'll just have to wait and see on the others to be sure.  Don't know much about growing fruit, just thought i'd give them a go.  Any tips anyone? I plan to put them in a sunny spot in the garden, maybe near the fence so I can train and net them easily.

I tried strawberries in a pot last year but they rotted off so bought some more this year to put in the ground. I had one solitary strawberry last year and the birds got that before I could pick it :( :(

ceri green

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 17:39 »
soooooooo glad someone asked this question!

i bought 2 packs so have double the problem. all in all i have 2 different goosgogs, raspberries, a tayberry and a blackberry.

the prob now is that the ones i assumed were the tayberry and the blackberry (cos they were the thorniest) might now be the goosgogs...one of the others that i assumed WAS a goosgog cos it actually has branches like a little bush might not be -I cant see any thorns so far- i think i identified the rasps but maybe not........and that leaves me with a green one that looks like it could poss be the blackberry....or tayberry..........

i have planted them all according to what i THOUGHT they were but looks like i might have to move them now if they can be correctly identified!

so, am i right in now thinking that the ones that look like dead sticks with thorns all round the stem are probably the goosegogs? :unsure: :unsure:

mikem

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2009, 17:55 »
soooooooo glad someone asked this question!

i bought 2 packs so have double the problem. all in all i have 2 different goosgogs, raspberries, a tayberry and a blackberry.

the prob now is that the ones i assumed were the tayberry and the blackberry (cos they were the thorniest) might now be the goosgogs...one of the others that i assumed WAS a goosgog cos it actually has branches like a little bush might not be -I cant see any thorns so far- i think i identified the rasps but maybe not........and that leaves me with a green one that looks like it could poss be the blackberry....or tayberry..........

i have planted them all according to what i THOUGHT they were but looks like i might have to move them now if they can be correctly identified!

so, am i right in now thinking that the ones that look like dead sticks with thorns all round the stem are probably the goosegogs? :unsure: :unsure:

Yes, I am afraid so!  :(

ceri green

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2009, 18:10 »
bollards

ok, so does that mean that the one that actually looks like a little bush is probably the tayberry? and the one that looks like a green rose cutting (thornless) might be the blackberry?

sorry if i've hijacked this thread btw!

Greengirl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2009, 15:43 »
Just to put a spanner in the works, Tayberries are thornless.

Faz

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2009, 17:31 »
I got four packs from Aldi, and out of the various canes only one had some paint on it. To add to the confusion, some of the packs had four or five canes in.

I have planted them in pots and when they sprout I can hopefully match up the ones that look similar and they can all get planted together. At least I now know that the spiky ones are the gooseberries, which is something I didn't know till i just read this thread :)

scotty

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2009, 23:06 »
wow  :D
thankyou for pic and question, i bought 3 of the very same packs and was wondering which was which. i can now force the brain to decide were to plant them all!

thanks all IDers!

PS can i plant now or do i need to wait until there will be no more frost?
oh no, another pair of leaky wellies!

Page created in 0.346 seconds with 39 queries.