my attempt at maiking a workshop from pallets

• 36 Replies

muntjac

« on: November 25, 2008, 06:07 »
you may all have ben wondering why i have not been around the site so much in tha last year well i and aggy have been really busy and this is just one of the projects we have undertaken and completed among others
a  shed / workshop of massive proportions costing less than £50 made from pallets and anything else you can scrounge i promise you we paid only for felt to cover the roof and a lock and hasp and also 2 dozen 6 inch nails . and believe it or not there was no plan drawn up or anything it was all in my head ( and aggys )just banging bits together and hoping to make it the best we could . ok the project was to build a shed 14 x 14 ft as a workshop for myself to house my tools and other rubbish ( as aggy puts it ) to do this sort of large project you need to source a large supply of pallets firstly . now believe it or not most building sites need to get rid of masses of them to date we have used in excess of 100 of all sizes from 4 x 4ft  to 12 x 6ft  and many different types as well from the massivly heavy steel holding pallets to normal brick pallets.. i will try to show  you how to lay out the base right through to the finished project ,now believe me i couldnt have completed this without aggys help or eddy a friend who has been up here on working holidays a few times . the amount of time he has been here ,he has a permanant depression in the spare bed pillows  :lol: you will notice the pictures are not in actual building sequence ,this is because it allows you to see the construction of varios parts in relation to the building.
 the windows you see in the construction came from one of the houses being built . they put the wrong windows in  :lol: had to take them out and rebuild the holes to fit the proper windows as requested by the new owners
 and i can tell you the whole shed is out of square by 1 inch 8)
 all the nails bar the 2 dozen 6 inch ones  came from the site being 3 inch and 2 inch nailgun magazine nails
all screws 2 . 3 and  4 inch  came from the site also being magazine screws used in the roofing and other woodworking bits in the houses

here you will see how the base was layed out using 6 x7x4 approx  heavy duty pallets  some 8 inches deep, they were placed together and supported by bricks ( also from the site) and chocks of wood to try and get a decent level platform then they had  more pallet joists nailed to keep them together. the outside pallets are 8 x6 ft 3 per side these fitted onto the ends of the flooring and were nailed throuigh the joists to the base , one side of the pallet was removed to provide planking and to make the fit possible  you will see i used pieces of wood to hold the corner sections together ,do not try to do this without using them

in this picture you can see a seperate piece of 2x4 used to hold the corners together and to provide a strong structural point for the roof to sit on besides the walls

here you see the windows being fitted ,due the fact that pallets come made up and you have no chance of making them truly square the windows need to be fitted as best as able so needed varios pieces of cut wood to make them secure  and they were 3 different sizes  :roll:

the side planking was full siz 8ft pieces and approx 4ft pieces taken from 2 different pallets and was overlapped as aggy said and i agree it made it more pleasing to look at , i had intended to make  flush sides

in the last picture you can see the roof joist this was actually 6ft longer and had been water damaged so came in use very nicley it was 12 inch deep and 15 ft long when fitted to provide an over hanging front roof section to afford rain cover for the doors

in this picture you see one of the doors made and leaning against the side and also the first part of the sterling board roofing going on  these also came free along with 8, 1 inch x 8x4 ft sheets of plyboard one of which you can see in the pictures used as a level base to work from a ladder

more pics to come of the felted and finshed workshop :wink:
still alive /............

poultrygeist

« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 09:39 »
Brilliant !

hard tp believe it's all pallet wood. Just goes to show, with patience, decent woodworking skill and good scavenging, you can do anythign you want. :D

It helps havign a building site over the back of course, but still a flippin sight cheaper than buying a ready made one !!!

Job well done and thanks for sharing it. Might inspire a few people.

Rob 8)

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 10:04 »
Fab, just shows you what can be done with some old pallets etc. 8)

Hope you didn't mind Muntjac but I've deleted your duplicate post and posted amc comments below

Quote from: "amc"
V.impressive, well done to you all! posted in stereo too!!
amc
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 11:00 »
WoW!!! What can you say!!

Brilliant Karl, absolutely blinking brilliant!
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Ygerna

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2008, 11:10 »
Flippin' 'eck, thats good :shock:

noshed

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2008, 12:17 »
Looks excellent - are you going to treat it with anything to preserve it?
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

L 11OBS

• Liam Hobbs
    • Liam's Allotment Blog
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2008, 12:33 »
There's nothing wrong with that, absolutely brilliant, well done !!!!!

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2008, 12:49 »
Well done!!

Reminds me of that old joke, (adapted to suit).

"Munty made a shed out of his own head & still had enough wood left to make another".
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

crowndale

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2008, 13:23 »
Brilliant.  I have drawn up a plan to build a 6x8 foot shed on my lottie, just for the fun of it, not sure I could do it just from a plan in my head though!  And have not managed to separate pallets yet so will be buying the wood!  Not as cheap but hopefully as satisfying to build once I get around to it.
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

agapanthus

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2008, 13:23 »
Quote from: "DD."
Well done!!

Reminds me of that old joke, (adapted to suit).

"Munty made a shed out of his own head & still had enough wood left to make another".

...that's right DD....and it's gonna be better and bigger....and MINE!!!!!!!  :lol:  :lol:

kezlou

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2008, 13:26 »
That looks amazing, i'd be really happy ifi'd made it from scratch.
But then i would say sack the workhouse, i'm moving in it!!!
Who needs a guard-dog when you can have cats for guards!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2008, 21:18 »
Woooow Munty  :shock:

No wonder yiu've been quiet on the forums for a while  :!:

Brilliant job  8)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2008, 21:57 »
That is a truly amazing construction, Munty.

Congrats to you, Aggy & Eddy.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

muntjac

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2008, 21:59 »
like i said there was no way it could have been done alone.aggy and eddy made it happen :D

Bombers

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2008, 22:20 »
Very posh mate.! Just shows what you can pick up off a builder :wink:
Life begins... On the kitchen windowsill.

clip
Pallets-R-Us...

Started by Growster... on Frugal Living

7 Replies
Last post October 14, 2022, 10:39
by SnooziSuzi
xx
Anyone know where I can get some pallets from?

Started by mandycharlie on Frugal Living

13 Replies
Last post February 25, 2007, 19:28
by muntjac
xx
pallets

Started by doctorangler on Frugal Living

4 Replies
Last post June 12, 2011, 12:42
by doctorangler
xx
I got some pallets!!

Started by foxydan on Frugal Living

11 Replies
Last post July 03, 2007, 19:41
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 36 queries.