Tips on ripening pears, please

• 5 Replies

AlaninCarlisle

Tips on ripening pears, please
« on: September 19, 2019, 15:13 »
I have two conference pear trees that I planted about five years ago. They are producing quite a large number of pears but here's my dilemma.

If I leave them on the trees the birds nibble them leaving bare flesh which rapidly goes mouldy, far quicker than my apples. Fresh from the tree they are hard as wood and totally inedible. If I pick them and stack them carefully in a cool dark place to mature, they seem to be doing OK and then suddenly go rotten.

Do other members have any tips please?

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Tips on ripening pears, please
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2019, 08:24 »
I ripen them by putting them in a dish or bowl in a single layer and leaving them out at room temperature.  If you want to stagger the process, you need to keep them in the fridge and bring them out as you need them.  Its not that practical I know, which is why I think you don't see that many pear trees around on allotments.  They are not so amenable to storing in a shed or garage as apples are.

My trees are not that old, so I don't get huge crops yet.  I'm going to dry them in the dehydrator when I get enough.  Home dried pear is fantastic.

Dev

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2019, 05:36 »
I think Newshoot is right. I inherited a pear tree on my allotment and just assumed you picked the fruit when it ripens. Wrong! Apparently pears ripen off the tree, so you need to pick them when they are almost ripe then bring them indoors. If you leave them they will ripen to the stage of inedibility and simply drop off the tree. Once you bring them indoors follow Newshoots advice. I am going to try dehydrating them this year as I have got a new toy - a dehydrator - and I'm playing about with it. Tomatoes are very nice, but you can keep the cucumbers!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2019, 11:35 »
but you can keep the cucumbers!

I've experimented with those and was also not impressed  :lol:  I read something on a website about cucumber slices lightly seasoned with finely chopped mint and dried as chips.  Hmmmmmmm more a texture thing with me than taste, but worth a go as I had a tray free and the dehydrator was going.  You can retrieve most things by bunging them in the food processor and blitzing to a powder.  The cucumber was actually pretty good that way in yogurt to go with curry and mayo based salad dressing.  Not that wow I would go the effort to reproduce it unless I had a massive glut, but it avoided wasting them  ;)

Back to pears.  I've done a tray of pear chunks dipped in orange juice, as the ones I had ripening were going faster than we could eat them and I had the dehydrator going with tomato chunks overnight.  Just dashed to the plot on the way to work today to pick the last of the pears before the storms arrive, so will put them in a dish on the dining room table for ripening later  :D
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 11:37 by New shoot »

Dev

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2019, 22:04 »
but you can keep the cucumbers!

I've experimented with those and was also not impressed  :lol:  I read something on a website about cucumber slices lightly seasoned with finely chopped mint and dried as chips.  Hmmmmmmm more a texture thing with me than taste, but worth a go as I had a tray free and the dehydrator was going.  You can retrieve most things by bunging them in the food processor and blitzing to a powder.  The cucumber was actually pretty good that way in yogurt to go with curry and mayo based salad dressing.  Not that wow I would go the effort to reproduce it unless I had a massive glut, but it avoided wasting them  ;)

Back to pears.  I've done a tray of pear chunks dipped in orange juice, as the ones I had ripening were going faster than we could eat them and I had the dehydrator going with tomato chunks overnight.  Just dashed to the plot on the way to work today to pick the last of the pears before the storms arrive, so will put them in a dish on the dining room table for ripening later  :D

I inherited a pear tree when I took on the next door allotment plot, and had three last year all of which went from rock to mushy, seemingly overnight!. This year I've got lots, but they are still rock hard. I brought a couple indoors two weeks ago, but they're still hard. I don't know the variety (they're definitely not Conference), and we are further north than you so maybe ripen later. Do you soak the pear slices in orange juice or just dip them? Sounds interesting. Also going to try some plums - maybe I'll end up with prunes!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2019, 21:23 »
Do you soak the pear slices in orange juice or just dip them?

Sorry I missed this.  Soaked for a few minutes while I chop them all up.  They get chucked in the bowl of juice as I go until it is full and I need to drain them and get them into the dehydrator.   You can use lemon juice and water to stop discolouration, but fruit juice just makes it better  :)

xx
Pears gone

Started by moose on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 08, 2014, 20:16
by Beetroot Queen
xx
Ripening Peaches

Started by jaws on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 18, 2011, 17:31
by Yorkie
xx
ripening pumpkins

Started by grinling on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post October 07, 2010, 23:08
by Salmo
xx
Tomato ripening help

Started by Deborah1 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 19, 2016, 11:50
by Deborah1

Page created in 0.344 seconds with 45 queries.