Asparagus

• 10 Replies

argonaut

Asparagus
« on: May 26, 2019, 20:40 »
Have an Asparagus bed .... I know you cut them below soil surface ... but do you cut all shoots from the plant or do you need to leave some to grow to full size and turn into 'ferns'
Assume yes - or how will it feed.

I may be wrong - any Asparagus  experts out there ?
There are those that always like to find fault, if you spot a Typo ... consider put there for you.

Hampshire Hog

Re: Asparagus
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2019, 20:56 »
For me it depends on how old your bed is. Mine is mature at around 7 years old.
I cut all of the spears that appear and are a decent size. I do this for around six weeks and then let the plants produce ferns. I support the ferns till they turn brown and then cut them all down at the end of the summer.
NB I didn’t cut spears for the first 2/3 years
Hope you enjoy your asparagus for many years
Cheers HH 
Keep digging

dayxday

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2019, 12:58 »
I have an asparagus bed that's about 8 years old. Plenty of weeds and I hardly do anything to look after it (now that it's established).

I never cut the spears, I just snap them off above ground. They get put in a jug of water straight away and are used the same day. Sweet and delicious.

But yes, I agree - 6 weeks ish of harvesting, then let them grow.

Auntiemogs

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2019, 13:58 »
I tend to cut all but one stalk, just in case. The plants that don't seem to be doing very well I leave alone, in the hope that they'll bulk up for next year.
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

Snowpea

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2019, 09:15 »
I tend to harvest half. Sometimes I cut them, sometimes I just snap them off. All depends on if I remember to take a knife with me when I do a wander round the garden. As for harvest duration, I'm with dayxday and Hampshire Hog and only harvest for about six weeks. I also remember when I set up my bed I did not harvest for the first 3 years. That's if you don't count the single spear I picked after two years. I just couldn't wait. I ate it raw it was delicious. :D

braders1234

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2019, 13:52 »
Hi, I have an established bed and love eating them spears raw, really tasty.  I always go by the rule that you can pick until mid summers day.

I am trying to establish a new bed, bought crowns from Waitrose Gardening website and they were poor quality - only about 5 from 25 have come through.  The initial bed had lovely crowns but I can not remember whom I bought them from/.

Any advice on a decent supplier and can I plant crowns now to replace the failed ones, i would like to plant a purple variety and a thicker spear variety (is it culvers colossal?)?

argonaut

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2019, 17:29 »
I bought mine from Marshalls .... 3 varieties

snowdrops

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2019, 21:56 »
I bought mine from Pomona fruits
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Longshanks

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2019, 17:43 »
I, too, bought from Pomona fruits. Every crown produced several spears, but as first year, not been harvested.

braders1234

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2019, 14:51 »
Thanks for the advice,  I appreciate that I will not get any spears this year but is it possible to buy crowns now and plant them so that they are growing roots etc ready for next year or is it better to wait till next year and put crowns in during spring?

Nobbie

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2019, 20:20 »
Thanks for the advice,  I appreciate that I will not get any spears this year but is it possible to buy crowns now and plant them so that they are growing roots etc ready for next year or is it better to wait till next year and put crowns in during spring?

I think the only thing you could buy now are container grown plants that are very expensive and will need lots of watering over the summer to get established. Much better to buy some quality crowns early next year and spend this year getting the bed properly weed free and plenty of organic matter incorporated.

xx
preparing an asparagus bed, and asparagus varieties

Started by wasthiswise on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post January 06, 2013, 09:06
by JayG
xx
To Asparagus or not to Asparagus......that is the question!

Started by greeny reene on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 12, 2008, 14:40
by wellingtons
xx
Asparagus/Asparagus beetle

Started by Quetzal on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post June 21, 2011, 20:09
by sunshineband
xx
Asparagus Pea Q?

Started by hogwarden on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 28, 2011, 11:57
by TerryB

Page created in 0.343 seconds with 38 queries.