Closer spacings this year.

• 13 Replies

Goosegirl

Closer spacings this year.
« on: March 18, 2019, 12:36 »
I usually follow the packet guidelines for spacing seeds or planting out veg and take an average but I always have bare spaces in between. This year I'm going to go with the smallest that's recommended to make the most of the space I have in my beds in the hope they'll still do well. I know you can get smaller crops but at least I'll have more of them.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Veg Plot 1B

• Experienced Member
Re: Closer spacings this year.
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2019, 12:53 »
Have you considered multi sowing?

Goosegirl

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2019, 13:18 »
No I haven't. What veg would do well and what wouldn't?

jambop

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2019, 14:08 »
Beetroot, turnips, onions and radishes are a few that come to mind four seeds per small pot  (2") then plant out when the are grown on a bit... of course herbs can be done the same way.

Dev

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2019, 22:27 »
I sense a fellow Dowding fan in veg plot 1 B! So that's radishes, turnips, onions and beetroot, but don't forget leeks. You won't get massive pot leeks, but having just had some for tea I can confirm that they are sweet and easy to cook. You will also get more crops per square yard of growing space with multi sowing.
As an aside, does anyone know where you can get polystyrene module trays - 40 holes? The cheapo plastic ones from Wilko are certainly cheap (3 for a £1) but I have two of the polystyrene modules which originally came with plastic covers, white pronged things and watering mats which are great for pushing plants out of the modules. It's a doddle when you have dibbed holes to receive the plugs. Can't seem to find them anywhere.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2019, 09:08 »
Multi sowing is actually nothing new.  Charles Dowding may well have picked up the idea, but it is not his or exclusive to no-dig growers.   

It does work well on some crops.  I always grow beetroot, turnips, spring onions and baby leeks this way and have done so for years.  I've also tried onions and shallots from seed, which were also successful.  It is more faff and does require modules and compost, which are an extra expense.

That might not be a concern, if you are just growing for a couple of you on a few beds, but I always think you have to look at things from every side and point out the potential downsides, if you want a balanced view  :)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 09:15 by New shoot »

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2019, 10:07 »
I tried multi-sowing in modules for spring onions in the polytunnel after reading Klaus Laitenberger's book and have to say the results weren't great for me. Scraping a drill with a stick, sowing and scuffling the soil back with my hand takes about as long to do as to write - and the results were better for me.
Like a lot of gardening techniques, give things a try if you want and see what the results are.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2019, 11:04 »
I've often multi sown onions 3 to a module in the past with excellent results !

Growster...

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2019, 12:13 »
We sow springs, etc in small trays, and carrots in a bucket with drainage. As DD will tell you, peas are better for being chucked in, preferably at night, and lobbed over the shoulder, and as Pea God, he should know...

I'll try a few leeks in the buckets this year, and let them get on with life in a long watering tray!

BTW, Dev, re pots, just check out Ebay as they have thousands of ideas for you to choose from. Over the last eight years, we've bought a collection of small square pots, which fit in their own trays, and at fifteen per tray, they're perfect for starting off most veg! At 6gm per pot, they're pretty flimsy, but when they're all snug, they all lock up into a very manageable system, and we haven't lost a single pot in all that time!

I'm all for gardening this way; we just can't keep up with the heavy labour like we used to, but here's the perfect antidote to indolence...

Nice one Goosey!

Lardman

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2019, 14:28 »
I've found SO's die just as quickly whichever method used.  :nowink:

I've even tried a method I saw on a video from over the pond, where they treated them like leeks, individually dibbing them in very close together getting a huge amount of plants in small spaces but given each onion more space than multi-sowing them would.

Dev

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2019, 05:26 »
Thanks for the tip Growster, but still can't find the polystyrene modules I wanted. Pushing plugs out is so much easier than using the plastic trays. Just planted out some spring onions which had germinated nicely in the greenhouse (variety Ishikura) in modules. Kept some back to interplant with young tomatoes which are also coming on well. Will we have a benevolent spring?

Auntiemogs

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2019, 14:02 »
I think I know the ones you mean Dev (I think I bought mine from Wilko).  It may be worth gurgling 'Parasene self watering propagator'. Not sure if they're still available but there's probably something similar if not....

AM  :)
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

jezza

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2019, 22:51 »
hello Dev I think the trays your are on about are Propapak polystyrene they were made as 1x1inch 2x2 inch cell trays I haven't seen new ones for a while just found a company on inter net called containerwise.co.uk  that do rigid propagation trays wondering if it would be worth having a word with polystyrene moulding companies to see if they could make some jezza

jezza

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2019, 23:08 »
hello up to the late 1980s beetroot seed used to be cluster seeded sugarbeet was the same then mono pill single clay coated seed came in    at the market garden I worked at we used 8 inch x8inch spacings for soft summer lettuce 4inch spacing for cos for a high leafier crop  9x9inch for winter crisp head (iceberg)and soft lettuce 4.5 inch for indoor caulifiowers  that only grew as big as a cup   jezza

xx
Spacings

Started by lordthanatos on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 14, 2011, 13:51
by lordthanatos
xx
Snap pea spacings

Started by Goosegirl on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 06, 2014, 13:20
by Goosegirl
xx
spacings for parsnips

Started by rem858 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 09, 2010, 08:37
by DD.
xx
garlic and rhubarb? spacings?

Started by gizooty on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post December 05, 2009, 17:42
by New shoot

Page created in 0.427 seconds with 53 queries.