Darned foxes

• 9 Replies

missmoneypenny

Darned foxes
« on: February 16, 2019, 11:26 »
My south London allotment is a haven for urban foxes.  >:( They use my plot as a rat run and recently went bananas on my cauliflower  patch because I’d put some blood, fish and bone down, smashing some of the fronds off.
 They  have  also smashed 4 raspberry canes I planted a month ago.
I’m trying to put obstacles down so they can’t run through: sheets of metal mesh, bamboo canes. I also have to say another  plot holder feeds themhttps://chat.allotment-garden.org/Smileys/green/sad.gif
Any other suggestions?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Darned foxes
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2019, 11:41 »
Quite a few of us on here have stopped using BFB  because of foxes digging, it only seems to stop once cubs are bigger and they learn there's nothing for them to eat  ::)

mrs bouquet

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2019, 14:03 »
It is 'darned' annoying when you get neighbours who feed them.  Don't the foxes trash your neighbours plot ?
I haven't any suggestions other than to suggest your neighbour 'moves on'   :D  But we have all stopped BFB down here for the same reason.  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

missmoneypenny

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2019, 17:19 »
Good point. I have only ever seen her feeding them AWAY from her plot. I know she is not adverse to long running feuds and so I have not challenged her. I might have to have a polite word though.

lettice

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2019, 09:07 »
Best deterrent is to fill a jar with male urine and drizzle around the edge of your plot.
This keeps the foxes out of my garden and veg plot.
Have found doing this once a fortnight is effective.
Any spare you have can go in the compost bin.

rowlandwells

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2019, 09:23 »
we have badgers they to have a track under the wire and straight up the plot when they decided to eat all the parsnips and sweet corn I thought we must do something so I put a wire fence round both raised beds never had any more problems and its funny one part of the fence is open that we use to enter the plot but they still insist on tunneling under the fixed wire fence?

anyway lettice is rite that method should work it will probably drive them away on another plot but then that's there problem :D

Dev

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2019, 17:46 »
Lettuce is right, but you have to have at least one co-operative male and it may take two weeks to fill a decent sized jar! The other problem is that fellow allotmenteers tend to think you are conducting some sort of druidic rite, especially if you do it after dark. Try it though and see what happens.

missmoneypenny

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2019, 12:27 »
Thanks for this intriguing urine based advice! I’m sure my husband and teenage son will oblige. I’ll be honest it’s a little off putting but worth a try.
The allotment looks like something out of a Tim burton movie now because I have “ planted” bramble fronds straight into the ground all around the areas they use  as a rat run. I just hope they don’t take root...

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2019, 13:19 »
I have “ planted” bramble fronds straight into the ground all around the areas they use  as a rat run. I just hope they don’t take root...

They will!  :ohmy:

missmoneypenny

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2019, 11:06 »
Oh dear mumofstig. I’ll keep pulling them out then putting them back in to discourage any ideas of taking root.  >:(

xx
Foxes...

Started by LucasAndRichard on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post November 24, 2008, 08:35
by poultrygeist
angry
Foxes!

Started by domw001 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 17, 2011, 16:48
by digwell123
xx
foxes

Started by dustcartkev on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post March 26, 2015, 21:38
by Mrs Bee
xx
foxes

Started by dustcartkev on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 20, 2015, 19:35
by m1ckz

Page created in 0.315 seconds with 39 queries.