Back laying
« on: February 08, 2019, 20:52 »
2 eggs from different hens.....miracle.... :D

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Back laying
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2019, 10:20 »
 :D

We have had 2 in the last couple of days, which I assume is Millie.  The other 3 are getting on, although Patsy did lay last year.  They were also dropped in the run, not the nest box.  She always seems completely baffled by eggs each spring and takes a week or so to remember how it works  ::)  Even by chuck standards, she is a bird of little brain  :lol:

jaydig

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2019, 11:41 »
One of my four has come back into lay, just as I thought I was going to have to start buying eggs.  When I had a glut I froze loads of both whole eggs, egg yolks and egg whites to use for cooking, scrambled eggs, frittatas etc.,  and have just got the end of these.

snowdrops

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2019, 20:11 »
Oh I didn’t know you can freeze them, can you give instructions please should I get too many when I get my daughters 4 girls please
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

grinling

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2019, 21:13 »
I whisk eggs up and freeze in ice cube trays . Mine is tiny so 1 egg = 4 ice cubes.
Not quite as successful when done separately

Lardman

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2019, 17:29 »
An egg  :)

She's 5 years old now so I was rather shocked, it's rather small but it's the first of the season  :D 3 more and I can make an omelette  ::)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 18:20 by Lardman »

jaydig

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2019, 19:17 »
Oh I didn’t know you can freeze them, can you give instructions please should I get too many when I get my daughters 4 girls please
Sorry this reply is a bit late, but I freeze mine by just whisking them together, and then putting them into small containers with the snap-lock lids.  You can get them at the pound shop here in packs of three or four, and they are perfect for this.  Whole eggs I freeze with a pinch of salt if I will use them for savoury things, such as scrambled eggs or frittata, and I put 6 whole eggs at at time into these packs, labelled accordingly. Packs of three, with a pinch of sugar, I use for sponges.  I have tried freezing whites and yolks separately, again with just a pinch of salt, and these are fine for meringue toppings, or the yolks work well for sauces or custards. Sometimes I mix fresh with thawed frozen ones, depending on how many fresh eggs I have at the time, and this is ok too.  As long as the number of eggs, and whether they are whole, just yolk, or just whites is marked clearly on the pack they are handy to have in the freezer.

snowdrops

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2019, 19:55 »
Thank you, should I have a glut I’ll try this

RubyRed

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2019, 19:55 »
  Bit baffled by everybody's hens not laying. I have 8 all different, rainbow flock, and I've not had less than 6 eggs a day. Mainly the full 8.  8)

xx
Who's laying?

Started by falcieri on Chicken Chat

19 Replies
Last post January 16, 2011, 20:10
by Totty
xx
They're laying again!

Started by ghost61 on Chicken Chat

4 Replies
Last post February 09, 2016, 19:34
by Kate58
xx
All laying!

Started by viettaclark on Chicken Chat

4 Replies
Last post December 21, 2010, 18:26
by Hayley'sHens
xx
All laying

Started by Trisha on Chicken Chat

4 Replies
Last post July 03, 2010, 08:45
by Trisha

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 49 queries.