Mulberry

• 2 Replies

londongardener

• Experienced Member
Mulberry
« on: January 22, 2019, 17:56 »
I have a Mulberry tree in a pot and I was advised to repot it into a bigger pot.
The current pot is 52 cm diameter 40 cm wide (21 by 16 inches).  I have Wilkinson, Wyevale and Coolings near me,  would I be able to get it from one of those?
Also any advice - repotting something this big sounds quite scary.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Mulberry
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2019, 20:28 »
If it is getting to be rootbound, then you need a bigger pot - but don't go too much bigger as you don't want the roots to be swimming around in lots of spare compost. 

The general approach would be to use a John Innes number 3 type compost.  This is a particular formula (made by various manufacturers) which contains a higher proportion of soil than the lower John Innes numbered composts.  Therefore the nutrients and water retention are better, because this is a permanent planting rather than an annual crop.

Try to plant at the same compost level as the current plant, and add some fertiliser into the planting hole - hopefully others will confirm whether a general purpose fertiliser like fish blood and bone, or growmore, would be best - or whether something more bespoke / single fertiliser would be preferable (I'm rubbish on fertilisers).

No idea about where to get the pot, sorry.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 20:29 by Yorkie »
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Urbanite

• Experienced Member
Re: Mulberry
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2019, 07:50 »
could you not prune the roots and put back into the same pot with fresh soil?,or (my choice) prune the roots and put into a similar sized air pot?
. . . You could strike sparks anywhere. There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning. . . .

xx
Mulberry in a pot

Started by londongardener on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post February 17, 2018, 08:38
by snowdrops
xx
Mulberry

11 Replies
Last post January 23, 2008, 17:24
by splodger
xx
mulberry

Started by dustcartkev on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 13, 2016, 18:52
by dustcartkev
xx
Mulberry is it worth it?

1 Replies
Last post November 30, 2018, 10:24
by New shoot

Page created in 0.412 seconds with 38 queries.