Broadbeans

• 7 Replies

andyww2013

Broadbeans
« on: January 12, 2019, 15:33 »
Hi,

I had a bit of spare ground back in November so put in some Broadbeans.  To my surprise they are now about 8 inches tall and have flowers forming on them.  This seems a bit odd given its only January.

I think the lack of a cold winter is really starting to show now.  Should I just leave them?

They also have some black marks on the leaves and also some bits of leaf are missing, like something is eating it, however they've spent most of their time under mesh.

Thanks.

Dev

Re: Broadbeans
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2019, 08:58 »
Hi Andy. I think I would just leave them and hope that you get a crop. This winter is turning out to be as peculiar as the long rain free summer, but nature can turn quickly - we may have three foot of snow in May! I hope not. I'm not sure you will get a crop if they're flowering already, but what is the alternative? It's a bit like growing old - its better than the alternative!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 09:07 »
The notches around the edges of the leaves will be bean and pea weavils.  Plants always get munched on our site, but usually it doesn't affect them too much and they grow through it.

Black marks could be just winter damage, but keep an eye on it. 

I grow Wizard beans, rather than traditional broad beans, which I just can't get to overwinter successfully .  Mine are growing uncovered in open ground.  They are only 2-3 inches tall and no-where near flowering.  Cover your crop back up and hope for the best, like Dev says. 

Jeebus

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2019, 09:33 »
I'm no expert, but I also sowed some broad beans towards the end of last year. I'd personally leave them - as Dev says what's the alternative? Might as well use this as a test/experiment so you know whether to bother again in future years. At least if it doesn't work, then you can just sow some more in the spring.

They might surprise you though, they seem quite hardy. Mine are still in the module tray and when I looked at them yesterday morning they were all lying down and I thought the wind had battered them. The soil was very dry so I gave them a drink and they are all standing up again this morning.

Longshanks

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2019, 13:41 »
My broad beans always seem to be decimated by black fly, so before Christmas I sowed some in my poly tunnel. They seem to be OK now, about 12" high.

andyww2013

« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 19:22 »
Here are mine, looking a little sad....
IMG_02721.JPG
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 19:30 by andyww2013 »

Jeebus

« Reply #6 on: Today at 09:17 »
Here are mine, looking a little sad....

Not as sad as mine yesterday morning after the frost. They seem to have recovered a bit today though.
broad-beans.JPG

Christine

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: Today at 18:25 »
I've had broad beans out on an allotment in weather like this - they fell over, stood up, fell over, prospered and cropped quite well in the end. I was doubtful for some of the winter mind.

xx
Broadbeans

Started by plopleuk on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 22, 2011, 11:44
by plopleuk
xx
broadbeans

Started by kiowa on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 08, 2007, 10:23
by ACatCalledElvis
xx
Broadbeans

Started by Eblana on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 20, 2013, 14:54
by barley
xx
broadbeans

Started by new_2_veg on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 02, 2008, 20:06
by gobs

Page created in 0.486 seconds with 34 queries.