Broody hens

• 4 Replies

chooka

Broody hens
« on: November 29, 2018, 21:47 »
I have 7 ladies who live in Cluckingham Palace, no rooster, all good layers.  Three of them are rescue chooks - Plymouth Rocks - who take it in turns to go broody.  I have tried everything I can to dissuade them from this activity - put them in the isolation cage for 48 hours, blocked the nests (doesn't do a lot for those conscientious ones who want to get in and lay their eggs), I am prepared to do anything which does not involve cruelty.  One person suggested I grab the broody by the legs and swing her around my head but that idea holds no attraction for me, and I can't see why it would stop her being broody.
If anyone has some good suggestions, I would be very grateful

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Broody hens
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2018, 10:31 »
One person suggested I grab the broody by the legs and swing her around my head but that idea holds no attraction for me, and I can't see why it would stop her being broody.

It wouldn't and would be extremely cruel.  I hope whoever told you that doesn't keep poultry. 

Isolation cages need to be mesh based and stood on bricks to stop the hen just sitting down in them, but they do work.  I would stick to that and blocking the nest boxes.

chooka

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2018, 00:44 »
Thanks, my isolation cage is an old dog kennel, and even without nesting material she sits down in it.  I shall review the isolation facilities and look for something different.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2018, 10:02 »
Mine is a puppy cage, which is all mesh.  It has a plastic tray floor, but that is removable.  The air circulating under them is important for switching off the hormones that trigger nesting behaviour.

You need to provide additional shelter from the weather with a mesh cage, but they do work.  I put mine inside the roofed run during the day, with shade cover, then into a shed at night  :)

chooka

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2018, 10:57 »
Thanks new shoot - that is extremely helpful.  I didn't know the bit about needing the air underneath to switch off the hormones.  I have just the thing (an old supermarket trolley which has been repurposed) which I can adapt to suit this purpose.  Very grateful to you both for your speedy response and helpful clues.

xx
Which hens for our broody? Need good layers and hardy hens, - which to choose

Started by sarahkk on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post February 18, 2011, 12:24
by sarahkk
xx
broody hens

Started by mikebucks on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 23, 2010, 11:46
by joyfull
xx
Broody Hens

Started by Willow_Warren on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post November 08, 2016, 20:03
by grinling
xx
Broody Hens

Started by Prod on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 03, 2014, 22:59
by grinling

Page created in 0.268 seconds with 40 queries.