Advice! White chicken poo

• 4 Replies

Cheekycookie8

Advice! White chicken poo
« on: October 15, 2018, 12:28 »
Hi, looking for help. Chickens had this white liquid poo with some solid in it for few days. We lost one chicken recently who eventually had a tumour. Very worried, not sure which direction to go in for treatment. Chickens eating at this point but this is not normal poo for them. Advice greatly appreciated for much loved chickens
IMG_20181015_085619.jpg

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Advice! White chicken poo
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2018, 10:35 »
Have you wormed them recently Cheekycookie?  If not, that might be worth doing.  Eating a lot of grass or greenery can also make poo very watery.

There isn't much you can do in the case of tumours, but they are really not that common.  You would be unlucky to have another one go with the same.

I would check the basics like diet and worms before doing much else  :)

Cheekycookie8

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2018, 15:00 »
Hi
Thanks for your advice. They haven't been wormed since March so was wondering about that. We also gave them beryls friendly bacteria. The poo has firmed up and the white watery gone. But still don't think she's 100%. She is eating and drinking but then often standing huddled for periods of time rather than free ranging. She has been going through a moult too. I've got flubenvet for worming now in case. Would worms cause the huddling behaviour? I've read that can be related to coccidiocis? I don't want to bombard her with treatments without getting right one. Thanks for your advice. Claire

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2018, 08:59 »
Hi.  Flubenvet won't be too much strain on her.  I would go ahead with that and see how she does.   

Moulting can put a hen out of sorts as well.  Some carry on regardless, but some do sit around more.  She may just be feeling the chill a bit and fluffing her feathers to compensate.

If the friendly bacteria perked her up, it suggests it is gut related and worms would be the prime suspects there.  If you still think there is problem, she may need a vet visit, but the first thing they will ask is when she was last wormed.

ghost61

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2018, 18:44 »
Mine produce similar poo to this on occasion.  They are fine, so doubt that there is anything to worry about.  Mine tend to do this prior to moulting when they go bonkers for spinach and bananas.  So guess what?  As they are just starting to moult, they're pooing like this all over the place.

xx
Strange egg-white - any advice?

Started by sjsailing on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post March 12, 2011, 20:25
by themagicaltoad1
xx
White pasty / creamy poo - any advice

Started by RachelO on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 30, 2008, 22:51
by RachelO
xx
Chicken run advice please :)

Started by kopperdrake on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 18, 2008, 12:21
by poultrygeist
xx
New Chicken Advice

Started by Fisherman on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post December 06, 2009, 11:22
by Fisherman

Page created in 0.226 seconds with 40 queries.