Vegetables with flowers

• 4 Replies

Joanyjojo

Vegetables with flowers
« on: July 23, 2018, 22:52 »
Hi quite new to our allotment and we after lots of digging and weedingg we have planted lots of different vegetables.  My dream is to have 100% edible plot but appreciate that we need flowers for pollinators and also they look pretty! 

Can anyone recommend vegetables and fruits that provide flowers before turning into vegetables - we know the obvious ones such as beans and peas potatoes etc but wondered about others .  I've just seen an article that says that if you leave radishes they will produce a flower - has anyone tried this and other recommendations would've helpful.  thanks

robinahood

• Experienced Member
Re: Vegetables with flowers
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2018, 05:49 »
Hi, I like your idea, but with a lot of veg by the time they are f!owering, the crop is past it's best - radish is an example of this. I don't know if this counts, but I grow retailing nasturtiums below my sweetcorn, runner beans etc, they keep down weeds, look cheerful and are edible.

Enfield Glen

• Experienced Member
  • Borough champion 12 times
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2018, 08:10 »
As robinahood says many veg flower after they have past their best for eating. You might want to plant a few extra and allow them to flower and then you can also collect the seed. Lettuce and onions are good examples. Also most herbs will flower and still be good for cooking.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2018, 09:01 »
Almost everything on our plot is an edible crop, and that includes a lot of flowers. Nasturtiums as already mentioned, pansies & violas, violets, small flowered begonias, pinks & carnations, chives, dahlias, calendula, roses, borage, primroses, lavender, rosemary, thyme, cornflowers, french marigolds, sunflowers of all shapes and sizes, wild garlic, daisies etc, plus of course the bean & pea family ,which has gorgeous flowers in their own right.
I hope that gives you a few ideas... the insects will certainly thank you! Mainly, our flowers are grown in strips at each end of the beds, so they are interspersed with the "green" crops and it looks attractive, as well as attracting masses of bees and other insects
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Goosegirl

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2018, 13:29 »
As said, many veg produce flowers so if you harvest what you want then leave the rest to flower and set seed you will not only have something nice to look at but also your seeds should be more viable than bought ones. I let my last winter's kale do its own thing and the many yellow flowers are so lovely, plus it should set seed to germinate after I've dug up my potatoes.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

xx
Flowers between vegetables.

Started by rainie on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 27, 2011, 22:05
by monkeywobbler
smiley
Alternative Flowers & Vegetables

Started by Lavender Lyn on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post February 25, 2013, 16:46
by Lavender Lyn
xx
potatoes..flowers or no flowers

Started by peedee555 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 25, 2013, 21:07
by hanssg
xx
Vegetables so far

Started by weathergirl on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post June 13, 2010, 21:13
by Dan78

Page created in 0.309 seconds with 43 queries.