Aubergine spotting

• 11 Replies

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Aubergine spotting
« on: July 22, 2018, 20:07 »
Its that time again when us aubergine growers are on the hunt for signs of fruit.  I have had plenty of years where I got nothing, but somehow it always seems to be a good idea in early spring when your seed sowing fingers start to itch  ::)

Anyway I have Kaberi, which did really well for me last year and a new one called Czech early and they both have fruit  8)

The Czech early is quite a different looking plant.  It has dark purple stems and really flat faced flowers.
IMG_2596.JPG
IMG_2597.jpg
IMG_2598.jpg
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 20:08 by New shoot »

jezza

Re: Aubergine spotting
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2018, 20:59 »
hi I haven't grown aubergines for years but remember that they where a pain to grow they had to be watered with a jug a pint around each plant (only 10,000) if watered from over head sprinklers the fruit soon rotted  we grew purple ones and round white and purple ones    jezza

snowdrops

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2018, 21:02 »
I succumbed & bought 2 plants after I fried the seedlings in the greenhouse!  They’ve made huge plants & lots of flowers but no fruit as yet. I dragged them out of the greenhouse on Saturday as they were buried under the 4 cucumbers that are going berserk
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2018, 21:42 »
I live in eternal hope that one day I'll harvest a homegrown aubergine.

Stewarty

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2018, 00:03 »
Mine are doing rather well, 4 plants in one growbag in the greenhouse. 2 are the familiar pear-shaped ones, the others are long thin ones. They seem to be loving this weather, get watered every day, and we've so far eaten 3 long thin aubergines and one rounder one. There are currently around 6 of thee big ones remaining, and about a dozen of the thin ones, with a few more flowers to come.

I'm anxious that, as with the floers in the garden, they'll all rush into action early, then we'll be left with a late summer / early autumn with nothing left in bloom...

robinahood

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2018, 05:52 »
They look really good. I tried them a couple of times with no success when space was at a premium, now that I have the plot and greenhouse I might try again next year. I like a challenge!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2018, 18:57 »
An update and it is all good news so far  :)

The Kaberi mini aubergines are still coming.  I've picked a dozen so far and there are lots more developing on the plant.

The Czech Early is actually not so early and none of the fruits have ripened yet, although they are a lot bigger.  I have 8 at various stages on the plant.

IMG_2609.JPG
IMG_2608.JPG
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 18:59 by New shoot »

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2018, 22:18 »
Jealous! I have flowers but nothing wlse yes.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2018, 10:44 »
Jealous! I have flowers but nothing wlse yes.

Which type are you growing?  I had the same with ones I grew for ages, with the only exception being a grafted plant I tried one year.  I discovered Kaberi last year on the Seedaholics web site and had sudden success.  I'd recommend it as that is 2 years in a row it has worked for me  :)

The Czech Early is from Real Seeds and is a success this year, but it the first time I have tried it.  I don't know if it would be so good in a less summery summer  :unsure:

snowdrops

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2018, 21:24 »
I spied fruits on 1 of my 2 plants this morning, 😊

Potty Plotty Lotty

• https://thelazyallotmenteer.wordpress.com/
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2018, 20:36 »
My 4x Aubergine Pot Black are doing brilliantly in small pots on the patio. Picked three fruits yesterday and many more are growing and some plants are still flowering.

AnneB

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2018, 19:42 »
I have aubergines - 1 per plant so far, for the first time ever.  They aren't quite reqdy yet but are a good size.  I have always got seeds to germinate but the flowers always dropped off.  This year I have my greenhouse for the first time and they seem to prefer it there than in the polytunnel at the allotment.   

It was a last throw of the dice with some ancient seed - the variety is Diamond from Real Seeds.

As an experiment I have also grown a Turkish Orange aubergine from Baker Creek.  It is a novelty really.  It is covered in fruit, but they are small and not really a substitute for a standard aubergine.

clip
Asparagus spotting 2019

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 02, 2019, 19:55
by New shoot
xx
Runner Beans - Spotting stringy ones...

Started by andyww2013 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 29, 2018, 14:40
by engineer
xx
aubergine

Started by bravemurphy on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post October 25, 2013, 08:57
by lazza
xx
Aubergine

Started by cricketwidow on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post August 30, 2011, 08:01
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.389 seconds with 38 queries.