Patio Fruit Trees

• 6 Replies

Sleepingpopman

• Experienced Member
Patio Fruit Trees
« on: April 15, 2018, 22:01 »
Hello folks  :) We bought 3 patio fruit trees, a Red & a Green apple & a pear about 3 years ago & put them huge tubs, for the last 2 years all 3 have blossomed & the 2 apples have fruited but not the pear. We have just had our garden altered & now have the perfect place to put them in the ground. Q1. Is it too late to transplant now ? Q2. If we do will we loose this years fruit ? Q3. Any idea why the pear isn't fruiting ?
Keith/Sharon

londongardener

• Experienced Member
Re: Patio Fruit Trees
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2018, 12:38 »
What type of pear is it?  A lot of pear species are not self fertile and are less common that apple trees so that could be the problem

londongardener

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2018, 12:39 »
PS I think normally you only move fruit trees when they are dormant so if you do then you will lose the fruit.

Debz

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2018, 12:47 »
I've had a pear for 5 years now.  It's only in the last two years that it's started to flower and last year we got a tiny pear.  Pear's take a few years to get established enough to even flower apparently.  Can't remember where I got this info from but it was when I was threatening my little tree with the chop if it didn't get it's act together. 

Sleepingpopman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2018, 23:12 »
many thank's for your replies about our problem patio pear tree  ;). londongardener the label say's it's a Lillyput, can't find anything about it anywhere  :( , We did think it was not a good idea to move now but we thought we would ask. & Debz the tree came into FULL bloom last year when it was 4 years old (no fruit) & it looks like it's going to be full of bloom again this year  :nowink:

londongardener

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2018, 09:19 »
many thank's for your replies about our problem patio pear tree  ;). londongardener the label say's it's a Lillyput, can't find anything about it anywhere  :( , We did think it was not a good idea to move now but we thought we would ask. & Debz the tree came into FULL bloom last year when it was 4 years old (no fruit) & it looks like it's going to be full of bloom again this year  :nowink:
It is self fertile according to this
https://www.jparkers.co.uk/pear-lilliput-0001164c

grinling

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2018, 14:23 »
From another website
Normally, lack of cropping would imply that the soil is very fertile and tree is growing rapidly while the growing is good!

5-10 years for a dwarf pear to start cropping is not uncommon.

If the tree is growing strongly and you want fruit rather than growth, then I suggest:

1. Stop feeding.

2. Stop watering, unless it starts to really suffer in a severe drought.

3. Consider a hard prune of all the young green shoots in July-August, back to about two inches. It might be a bit late now to have an effect for next year. Don't cut into older wood while summer pruning - only young wood.

xx
Under my fruit trees

Started by Beetroot queen on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post April 29, 2013, 07:26
by Beetroot queen
question
fruit trees

Started by Speachless on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post July 26, 2010, 00:52
by Paul Plots
xx
Groupon and fruit trees

Started by casper on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post April 02, 2013, 19:09
by casper
xx
moving fruit trees

Started by dmg on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post October 25, 2012, 23:20
by dmg

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 39 queries.