anyone planted their earlies yet ?

• 59 Replies

Ecodigger

• Lots to learn
anyone planted their earlies yet ?
« on: March 21, 2018, 12:44 »
Hello everyone, this is only my second year on my allotment, i had  great fist year apart from some pesky onion fly and a very hungry rat that seemed to love the taste of my sweetcorn !  I'm chomping at the bit to get my earlies in but the news is more snow until mid April, will i matter if i wait a bit ? 
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 18:24 by DD. »

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: anyone planter their earlies yet ?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2018, 13:19 »
It just means your harvest will be later, but we are all in the same boat.  My earlies are staying in the shed a while yet  ;)  :)

jaydig

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2018, 15:27 »
I would usually have got mine in my now, but the ground is till too wet and cold.  I'll see what next week brings.

victoria park

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2018, 16:57 »
Sadly, a late harvest down here will mean a crop almost certainly curtailed by blight, so I have planted charlottes today, and my maincrop Pipers and Edwards are going in tomorrow morning, as they are most at risk from blight. Other earlies can wait until there is another bed available that is reasonably dry.
Not quite so cold down here in the South West, and the beds I'm using have been protected from the worst of the Winter's rain. I will protect from any heavy downpours in the next 3 weeks.

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2018, 17:57 »
Going to plant mine on Friday I think. I've put a rudimentary cover over the bed made from my old polytunnel cover to keep the worst of the rain and potential snow off the spuds.

shedmeister

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2018, 18:37 »
My charlotts also went in today with it being the equinox. Its an old family tradition that has been kept up qas far back as my great grandfather. Now a grandfather myself I am passing that down to my youngest Grandson (9yrs)Never had a failed crop yet.
May the fork be with you

LILLILEAF

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2018, 06:00 »
My charlotte spuds are also in,fingers crossed they will be fine :wub:

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2018, 06:59 »
I'm not rushing.

Mine went in early April last year and still got nipped by frost. Why the rush?
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

snowdrops

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2018, 07:59 »
No, mine are still chitting in the unheated conservatory. Old gardeners used to say it was warm enough to get started when the soil felt warm to a bare bottom, but I won’t be using THAT measure on the plot 😂😂😂
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2018, 15:16 »
Second weekend of April for mine, they soon catch up with increased warmth (praying hard) and more daylight hours. Having said that I have just looked at my weater stations stats and we are around 4c lower than average for March but on the upside, the Pennines is keeping the wet stuff over there so a lot drier this year!
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

al78

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2018, 15:45 »
Not yet, I am planning too this weekend if the soil conditions are suitable. Unfortunately even in the tropical SE, winter just doesn't want to let go this year (like 2013), so at worst I'll have to wait until the weekend after Easter. I had to do that in 2013 and still got a crop. It is better to hold off and get a later crop, than try and pretend that it is an average Spring and end up with no crop. At least this week we have had double figure daytime temperatures and lack of frost which hopefully will help the soil get a bit drier and warmer. That is the other problem, it hasn't been a wet winter but the soil everywhere is soaking wet, probably because seven out of the last eight months have had below normal sunshine.

m1ckz

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2018, 01:15 »
how about if you planted them an covered with grass cutting     as that warms up

jaydig

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2018, 14:58 »
No, mine are still chitting in the unheated conservatory. Old gardeners used to say it was warm enough to get started when the soil felt warm to a bare bottom, but I won’t be using THAT measure on the plot 😂😂😂
Snowy, given the size of my bottom, if I did sit down on the plot I'd probably warm up an area big enough to plant the first early spuds!

rowlandwells

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2018, 16:51 »
like most of you our seed potatoes are still resting in the conservatory its still to wet to even think about planting i.ve yet to plough the ground then cultivate so its going to be a couple of weeks assuming the weather improves before we can do any planting

and its forecast snow again for us due to happen the back end of next week happy days  :ohmy:

victoria park

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2018, 17:49 »
Well, looking at the forecast down here, things aren't going to improve wet wise for two weeks at least. Tipping down again now, front after front, not so wet in the east obviously. So one might as well plant the potatoes in a bed covered from the rain as best as can be managed. At least they have as much warmth as is possible, and as little wet as possible. Another month of hanging around and it won't be worth planting any main crop potatoes.
The weather has been largely "stuck" for months now, other than the beast, and I don't see any sign of it changing. Worst Autumn/Winter/Spring I can remember by quite some distance. 2013 was a doddle compared to this year.
Logic would say even if some of the first potatoes rotted and didn't appear after 4 weeks, some more could always be planted out at the same time as those that are hanging back anyway. It's only a tenner lost. I would rather "dual run", possibly lose part of the first attempt, than get no potatoes at all. This logic bears in mind blight almost always appears on our site down here in July. A late April maincrop planting is almost pointless. My maincrop went in yesterday under cover.
In the end, even commercial growers' crops fail sometimes. Who can remember the Southern/Spanish crop shortage last year in the supermarkets ?

xx
Why are maincrop potatoes planted later than first earlies?

Started by OakR on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 16, 2020, 12:38
by OakR
xx
first Earlies ?

Started by starry on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 07, 2012, 07:51
by starry
xx
1st earlies

Started by dmg on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 10, 2012, 18:27
by Yorkie
xx
Which earlies

Started by Benny130 on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post March 14, 2015, 23:01
by 3759allen

Page created in 0.418 seconds with 54 queries.