Help Please!! I'm new (just like you was once)

• 11 Replies

Tomwhite87

Help Please!! I'm new (just like you was once)
« on: January 05, 2018, 17:22 »
Hi everyone! So I have got myself an allotment. I've done all the digging and hard work but need to know what I can grow this month if anything? If not this month the next maybe? Any help would be great as I simply don't have a clue what I'm doing. My grandad had an allotment and loved helping him out as a child. Just wish I listened to his advice when I had the chance. Thanks Tom

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
Re: Help Please!! I'm new (just like you was once)
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 18:11 »
You can't go wrong with John's guides on this here very site!

Fruit & Vegetable Growing Guide for January Allotment

The RHS website is also very helpful I found when I started out.

Good luck!

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2018, 18:51 »
Hello Tomwhite and welcome  :D

Well do I remember those first exciting months, even though they are a few years back now! John's articles proved a lifesaver, the ones PLot 1 Problem linked for you.

There's time to plan now, get things organised and then get sowing so happy reading   :D :D

What would also help is for you to add your location into your profile, so any advice given relates to the area you live.... with members all over the UK and some in Europe, it really would be useful :nowink:
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 18:53 by sunshineband »
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

3759allen

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 19:04 »
a bit early to be growing now.

i suppose first things to sow would be peppers on the window sill, i'm starting mine at the end of the month. after that would be peas and leeks. to be honest don't get too carried away. usually that late un predicted frost will catch you out, more important to harden off properly early in the season (i'm useless at this).

now's the time to prepare. if you want to plant as early as possible get black plastic ready to put on the bed your planting (to increase the temperature) and make sure you have enough fleece or cloches to hand to protect, and something to keep slug/ snails at bay.

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2018, 16:00 »
welcome Tomwhite Don't rush things especially as it's a bit too soon to plant and sow. go nice and easy.

arh

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2018, 16:07 »
Welcome TomWhite , listen to Mumofstig, and you'll not go far wrong.

paul sadler

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2018, 18:38 »
Hi tom I've had a allotment all over the uk for over the last 45 yrs and I am a qualified gardener i'm afraid there's not much you can do at this time of year but you can sow sweet peas in the greenhouse if you have one or just take it easy until spring when the weather gets warmer then you can start but at the moment let nature take its coarse and then you will be surprised but I know what you mean I can't wait either hope this help's (paul).

Tenhens

• freedom lodge for tenhens ex battery 1 year on
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2018, 20:05 »
Welcome from Derbyshire!!!
This is probably the best time to take on a plot , you have made a good start by digging it over.
There is plenty of information on these pages and as mentioned  John's guides are a good as any place to start. He has also published some very useful books.

Have a gentle wander around these pages , I'm sure you find it useful , and more interesting than a lot of the rubbish on the telly!!
You may find the answer to a question that you may have on the forum pages , if not post it,  there are no daft questions and there are plenty of growers who are willing to help.
Good luck!!!
we also rescue rabbits and guinea pigs, grow own veg

Dev

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2018, 20:08 »
Hi Tom and welcome. You can access lots of information regarding sowing dates etc on the internet or from gardening books. Personally I like Charles Dowding's books on No-dig, but don't worry if they don't do it for you. I've just sowed seeds of onions and shallots, trays on a windowsill of the house, because I can't wait to get started! You can sow aubergines, and chillies next month if you've got access to warmth/windowsill. Then many things gets going in March. It actually pays to be patient because most veg catch up with early sowings.
Hope you enjoy your plot.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2018, 20:47 »
You can access lots of information regarding sowing dates etc on the internet or from gardening books.

Ah, you mean as on this website as the first reply pointed out! John, the site owner, does a pretty mean series of books as well.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Goosegirl

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2018, 12:40 »
It's a good time to walk around your plot and make plans as to what you're going to put where etc, dig a hole to see what the soil is like and if it drains ok. If you don't have a heated greenhouse you can start things like broad beans, early peas, onion sets and shallots in pots or divided trays with just a sprinkling of water to set them in but... a sudden cold snap can make beans and peas rot especially if the soil is too wet. If you do have a greenhouse get one of those little zip-up plastic-covered jobbies with two or three shelves, put it inside the greenhouse and stand it on some polystyrene slabs, sow your seeds, zip it up and throw some fleece over it to help keep out the cold. It will need opening from time to time to let in some fresh air and reduce any water vapour. Put a max-min thermometer inside it and another in the actual greenhouse to help you to see what difference in temps there are.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Aled

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2018, 14:15 »
Welcome Tomwhite, this is a very welcoming forum
Now the best advice I can give you is listen to what the people here are telling you.There is a wealthof knowledge here. Everybody is always happy to share their experience and knowledge. I'm into my 4th year and I will always come back to this forum for advice.
Cheers
Aled

Page created in 0.339 seconds with 50 queries.