Borlotti Beans Question

• 4 Replies

DaveF68

Borlotti Beans Question
« on: October 07, 2017, 00:06 »
Do they need to be dried/stored or can they be cooked and eaten 'from the pod'? (I know they need to be cooked! 😀)

snowdrops

Re: Borlotti Beans Question
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2017, 07:58 »
When they are young I use them like runner beans, as the beans swell in the pods I pop the beans out & freeze them, then cook them, as they get older & the pods dry I either pick & let the whole lot dry, then pod them & continue to dry the beans longer or I just pod them & dry the beans. Depending on the weather you can leave them in situ to dry on the plant but I find they often go mouldy as the weather gets wetter here
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2017, 08:39 »
I use them fresh from the pod, but I cook mine before freezing.  This late on in the year when the weather is cooler and damper it is hard to dry them fully. 

The upside to this is that they are really nice with a great texture that you just don't seem to get from dried and soaked beans.  They also cook really fast with no pre-soaking.  Lovely in soups, in a homemade tomato sauce, made into a salad, as a taco filling .... as you might guess, they are pretty popular in my house :)

jaydig

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2017, 14:34 »
I just pod mine, put them into bags and throw them into the freezer.  When I need them I just add to casseroles, soups etc. straight from the freezer and they're always good.  I tried to dry them, but obviously didn't dry them enough and they didn't keep very well, so the freezer method works best for me.

madcat

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2017, 15:44 »
What I want I eat fresh and the rest gets dried.  Either on trays out in the open with a stir every so often, or this year I have put them in the dehydrator ...  (I dont freeze because there isnt enough room in the freezer!)  A wonderfully flexible crop.
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

xx
Borlotti Beans

Started by ReenTheBean on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post September 21, 2014, 12:36
by bravemurphy
xx
Borlotti Beans. How do you dry these?

Started by sunnylottie on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

8 Replies
Last post September 08, 2008, 22:13
by goose
xx
Dehydrating borlotti beans

Started by pompeyboy61 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post September 23, 2012, 17:45
by Trillium
xx
Barlotti (borlotti) Beans

Started by Shirley on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

9 Replies
Last post August 27, 2009, 20:21
by farmallotment

Page created in 0.185 seconds with 39 queries.