I'm giving up cabbages

• 17 Replies

victoria park

I'm giving up cabbages
« on: July 18, 2017, 19:51 »
Well, after many years of thinking I should grow them, I won't be anymore. The classic cabbages I mean, like greyhounds, early Durham, Savoys etc.... the ones that heart up once only. Even with excellent looking specimens, they are always hiding slugs, and their poo is everywhere.
To be honest I don't need them and only grow them because I think I should grow a bit of everything, but the pest thing is just too much.
I grow early and late spinach in the greenhouse, and readily gorge on my easily grown sprouting broccoli in the Spring. My early kale takes me from Summer right through to March, and brussels are available September through to March, and all without any of the angst of a single head going over. They are gradual or pick and come again crops without the angst associated with hearted cabbages and inevitable hidden slug issues. I have a soft spot for 3 or 4 red cabbages around the turn of the year for the fruited side dish, but that's it from now on. "Cabbages" are history.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 19:53 by victoria park »

compostqueen

Re: I'm giving up cabbages
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 19:59 »
Oh dear that's such a pity as they are so easy grow and way nutritious 😋  Ironically none of mine have been slugged owing to this dry spell. i cut a hispi in half this evening and it was clean as a whistle. So far they all have been 😋
I grow compact savoy Samantha, it's perfect for us as there's only two so of us
I love kales and brocs, calabrese too.  The oriental greens are easy as well

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2017, 20:43 »
Each to their own, I  suppose, but I wouldn't be without my cabbage  :ohmy: I use slug pellets occasionally if damage looks likely because of wet weather, but apart from that I find them easy and pest free  :)

greenjay

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 21:45 »
I cut a cabbage this evening and the centre core was all mushy/rotten.
never seen this before. what was the cause?
no slug damage though.

missmoneypenny

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2017, 22:31 »
I know what you mean, my caulis last year were like social housing for slugs and snails, l had to " groom" them, separating all the leaves one by one and lifting the molluscs out.

LILLILEAF

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 06:05 »
I gave up on cabbage as the slugs had a real good party on my plants,so many i lost count,i gave the cabbages to the chickens at least they had a good snack :lol:slugs and all the beasty's in one.

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2017, 08:47 »
I have given up with spring cabbages, all mine bolted this year, so I'm just doing kale and chard for the spring instead. Had some good winter cabbages last year, but I've probably planted too many.
There should be fewer slugs this year, but then again they're more likely to bolt in these conditions. You can't win!
Rachael

viettaclark

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2017, 10:44 »
I soak my greyhounds in salty water and the slugs just drift out. You need to rinse well afterwards.

rowlandwells

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2017, 21:11 »
i like the idea of salty water going to give that one a try but i must admit its sometimes a pain when you've taken the time to grow good brassicas only to feed the slugs

i just can't work out how commercial growers grow acres of brassicas so perfect no slug holes no slug poo cut and rapped

so how do they do it Stanley?

i use the blue slug pellets  only on netted areas not on open ground I've never used nematodes but have been told by other gardeners that they do work but as i said salty water is on my agenda for my brassicas

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2017, 10:51 »
I soak my greyhounds in salty water and the slugs just drift out. You need to rinse well afterwards.

We do this with heads of calabrese or cauliflower just in case there are lurkers. Sometimes find a small caterpillar or slug, so it is worth doing.

Cabbages need an eye kept on them, and I take off leaves at ground level or anything a bit yellowy to reduce the chance grazing slug or snails will want to set up home. I wouldn't be without cabbage tbh
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

victoria park

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2017, 18:37 »
It isn't just the slugs that have influenced my decision. All brassicas need copious amounts of netting, and I am only prepared to net so much of my plot anymore. It's looking like all important onions are going to have to be netted in future, so something had to go. "Pick and come again" brassicas like kale and brussels are the future, and slugs are easily dealt with. Just how many varieties of brassica do I need ? I love my kale and if I miss the odd winter Savoy, I'll just have to buy a couple.

mrsbean

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2017, 23:59 »
I am behind you all my cabbages are nowhere near ready but are netted. caulis suffered  clubroot and the sun did,nt help, so giving caulis up next year.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2017, 08:47 »
I know what you mean about netting.. it does seem I use more and more every year. For me though it is a choice of no useable crop, chemical applications or netting, and netting is the way we are going.

I can see your logic with the cabbages, victoria park, as you eat few of them and varieties like savoys do take up ground space for quite a long time too

rowlandwells

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2017, 19:48 »
 many interesting replies I still think salting will be my choice for the time being and yes we have invested quite a lot in plastic netting with blue plastic pipe its proven to work for the white butterfly but slug pellets seem the only method to curb the slugs for us

it would be an idea  to explore the method of the commercial growers and how they manage to grow 40 acres of brassicas  without a slug or caterpillar in sight

I did use a rhubarb leaf  spray for several years with I admit good results but the reason I left of using it was basically the smell after leaving it to ferment for three weeks

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2017, 20:08 »
it would be an idea  to explore the method of the commercial growers and how they manage to grow 40 acres of brassicas  without a slug or caterpillar in sight

http://www.ahdb.org.uk/slugcontrol/HDC%20Factsheet%20-%20Slug%20control%20in%20field%20vegetables%2005%20Aug%202010.pdf

The advice is for multiple soil cultivations to kill slugs and expose eggs to predators before planting and 6 applications of slug pellets @448g per hectare throughout the growing season.

xx
On not giving up too soon...

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post August 14, 2015, 08:55
by AnneB
sad
Giving up!!

Started by alwayshopeful on Grow Your Own

38 Replies
Last post October 10, 2012, 22:26
by mumofstig
clip
Not giving up!

Started by Plot 1 Problems on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post June 08, 2022, 01:13
by Subversive_plot
sad
Giving up

Started by alwayshopeful on Grow Your Own

27 Replies
Last post June 18, 2009, 22:24
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.437 seconds with 40 queries.