Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

How to Post Pictures on the forums.

Author Topic: New coop - build or buy?  (Read 392 times)

justasec

New coop - build or buy?
« on: July 03, 2017, 23:21 »
Hi,
Hoping some wise people can offer advice - I've had a hunt in the forums but can't find anything recent.I'm wanting to start keeping around 6-8 max bantams and first step is organising a coop. It's almost impossible to find one to buy locally within budget (around 300) that is easy to clean (I don't just want an ark) and not sure I'm comfortable attempting to build.

Any suggestions for how to find a reputable online company or super easy to follow instructions?

All help hugely appreciated!

LILLILEAF

• Experienced Member
Re: New coop - build or buy?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2017, 05:55 »
Hi
If you are not confident about building a coop,keep an eye out on online auction sites for 2nd hand ones,it is coming to the time when people find they don't want to keep them in the colder months,or they just don't want them any more.
Or there is freecycle you may drop lucky and get one for nothing,check every day it changes all the time.
We have always built ours they have lasted a lot longer than ready made ones,my last one i had for 14yrs.
Hope you get what you are looking for be prepared to travel.Lillileaf

jededitor

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2017, 22:31 »
My coops are IBC containers. Bought a second hand food grade one and steam cleaned it with the wallpaper stripper. Cut a chicken entrance on the front and a cleaning access on the rear and used the cut out sections as the doors,

Good and large and very easy to clean. Just clean out the old bedding, open the drainage tap and wash out the bits. Nowhere for the red mites to hide either.

grinling

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2017, 08:39 »
bantams are cute but go broody very quickly and often, so not a lot of eggs. Have a couple of large hens for eggs.

My coop is from Ebay, but it has always been under a solid roof enclosure, the hens free range. I have had the coop for about 8 years.

Sassy

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2017, 10:05 »
My coops are IBC containers. Bought a second hand food grade one and steam cleaned it with the wallpaper stripper. Cut a chicken entrance on the front and a cleaning access on the rear and used the cut out sections as the doors,

Good and large and very easy to clean. Just clean out the old bedding, open the drainage tap and wash out the bits. Nowhere for the red mites to hide either.

I had to look up IBC containers I did not know what they are. Can you get ones that are dark inside? Were you able to fit a roosting bar and a nest box above that? How were they fixed? This sounds like a great idea.  :D
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

jededitor

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2017, 23:04 »

I had to look up IBC containers I did not know what they are. Can you get ones that are dark inside? Were you able to fit a roosting bar and a nest box above that? How were they fixed? This sounds like a great idea.  :D

I have ended up cladding it in wooden strips off an old fence panel. Roosting bars are just wood strips fixed by screw from the exterior. Nesting boxes are just cardboard boxes stuffed with the obligatory straw though I might change then to a type mounted on the access door. I'll post a few images sometime this week.

Sassy

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2017, 10:32 »
 It sounds great. Do keep an eye open for red mite behind the cladding.  :( :)

Share via twitter

thumbup
Coop Build from design to completion - With photos!!

Started by Diggit

90 Replies
Last post May 17, 2015, 21:28
by Diggit
xx
I want to build a run.

Started by clairebeau

16 Replies
Last post July 20, 2009, 19:34
by clairebeau
xx
I need to build a small hen house