Tall peas

• 5 Replies

Salmo

Tall peas
« on: June 25, 2017, 09:16 »
I am growing a tall variety of peas for the first time. They are currently about 4 foot high and growing. They have flowers and the first tiny pods. I am hoping that they will keep flowering as they grow to produce a crop over a longer period than the shorter varieties. Is there anything I should be doing besides watering to encourage this?

snowdrops

Re: Tall peas
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2017, 09:30 »
I would think picking regularly when it comes to it & maybe a feed or two
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2017, 09:57 »
I grow tall peas (currently Champion of England and Telefono). They are currently six feet tall and I expect them to grow a little more.  They flower from about two-three feet upwards and carry on flowering as long as you pick the peas and feed them.

They can get a bit droopy, so I tie them across-wise round the frame, which seems to help keep them up so the stems don't bend fatally, if you see what I mean

Keeping pigeons off the top of the supports as they get taller is an issu, or the little devils eat all the leaves and flower buds otherwise
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Salmo

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2017, 20:49 »
Now I know why people do not grow old tall varieties. My Show Perfection are covered in powdery mildew today. Hurst Green Shaft adjacent completely clear.

I have dusted them with sulphur so lets hope the pods fill before the mildew gets them.

Any other treatments work?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2017, 21:07 »
Now I know why people do not grow old tall varieties
Ah but they do  ;) Here, I have to sow peas early to avoid powdery mildew. Mine are usually all finished before mildew arrives.

It has been a very dry spring for most people this year, which certainly doesn't help peas grow.

AnneB

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2017, 10:29 »
I am a big fan of tall peas as well.  You usually get more peas per row than shorter types.  I have had lots of success in the past with Champion of England and Sutton's Purple Podded.  This year I am growing Magnum Bonum.  This has not been quite so successful, but like MoS I put it down to the dry growing conditions this spring.   Still OK though.

My slightly shorter peas, Stokesley and Rosakrone have also done OK but yields have not been as prolific as usual in the case of Stokesley.  I haven't grown Rosakrone before this year, they are very pretty indeed but pods are small but taste good.  Quite unusual growing habit too, about 4' tall and all the salmon pink and white bi colour flowers are in a circle (crown) at the top of the plant.

xx
Tall peas

Started by Salmo on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post April 11, 2017, 17:45
by Pimento
xx
Support for tall peas

Started by taraxacum on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 31, 2015, 16:50
by Salmo
question
Best support for tall peas?

Started by moreteavicar on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 09, 2019, 17:54
by sunshineband
xx
Protection for tall peas?

Started by Clover on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post January 03, 2010, 18:28
by scaldow

Page created in 0.306 seconds with 40 queries.