Privet trimmings as Mulch?????

• 3 Replies

arh

Privet trimmings as Mulch?????
« on: May 25, 2017, 17:57 »
Just a question?. Does anyone think that privet trimmings would make a good mulch??. The reason I ask is because I have quite a bit of privet hedge, (approx 250 yards or more of it, :lol:) and trimming a bit of it today made me wonder?. I'm not too sure whether it would be any good, (would be a fine mulch, of that there's no doubt), but would it degrade in time for next Spring?, I would chop it up fine with the lawn mower, but I don't fancy making a rod for my own back having to clear it all away next Spring. What do you think??. Thank you. arh.

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Privet trimmings as Mulch?????
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017, 18:40 »
Depends how woody the trimmings are, which of course depends on how often you trim your hedges (thought I was hard done to with a 100 foot rear garden surrounded by privet, and more in the front garden.)
Also depends on the weather to some extent, although that equally applies to other types of mulching materials.

In any event the leaves tend to rot far quicker than the stems, but overall I don't think mulching is a bad way of using excess prunings.

Not likely to be a problem, but privet is poisonous to some animals if they eat it, especially the berries if you have let them get to that stage.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2017, 08:36 »
If there are no berries to take root (or be eaten, as JayG says it would be  a good mulch. Make sure the ground is good and damp before you put it down though, to get the best out of it
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

arh

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017, 09:44 »
Thank you very much JayG and Sunshineband, I must admit, I was tempted to go down the mulch route, but wanted other comments first.  :), Certainly under the new hedges first and then on the brussels and cauli's .thank you. arh.

xx
Privet cuttings as mulch?

Started by willowman on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 25, 2010, 10:22
by aelf
xx
Composting hedge trimmings.

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 24, 2008, 13:28
by compostqueen
xx
apple tree trimmings

Started by loubylou29 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post January 27, 2010, 20:44
by Trillium
xx
privet!

Started by dno71 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 18, 2010, 06:44
by Rangerkris

Page created in 0.329 seconds with 39 queries.