French dwarf beans

• 6 Replies

mdjlucan

French dwarf beans
« on: April 29, 2017, 15:54 »
I planted them on 11/4/2017 and  beatroot  but there is no show  I know it's been cold  do you think I've lost them or will I have to plant them again  My allotment is in Harlow any help most appreciated
metal detector man

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: French dwarf beans
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2017, 16:04 »
The beetroot will probably still come up, even though it has been cold, but the French beans have probably rotted away without germinating. They like to be snug!

I sowed mine today in small pots and won't be putting them out at least until the end of this month, if that helps. I am in Reading
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

mdjlucan

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2017, 16:58 »
I've not got a green House so When is the best time to put the French dwarf beens direct in to the ground

juvenal

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2017, 18:06 »
I've not got a green House so When is the best time to put the French dwarf beens direct in to the ground

I start mine this coming week. Seed tray in the kitchen with a dozen or more beans in. Cover in clingfilm to retain moisture. When beans break through, put them outside until 4-5 inches high (if frost threatens, bring 'em in).

Harden off and  plant out 20th May ish.

RichardA

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2017, 21:19 »
I am in North Lincolnshire and would not put direct in ground until about third week in May. Would look at weather forecast for weather warming and whilst no guarantees a period with no cold and wet to come. Worth a try with a few seeds earlier under fleece or cloches to get at least a meal or two before those sown at a safer date start to yield. Personally I start mine in greenhouse about now and then protect until frosts less likely towards end of May before planting out. A few plants in polytunnel about now will give an early crop and for succession sow a few seeds every couple of weeks right through to end of July is worth the effort. Can still be taking a crop as late as October with a little protection. We all get tempted to sow to early and this year was very tempting but later seeds often catch up and do better than the earlier ones.

gobs

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2017, 22:14 »
You can get away with mid-May, probably, in London, unless in a frost pocket. On the other hand, quite some time passed, it might even happen, you will need to re-sow your beetroot, too.

In such situations I have a look. Scrape up the top layer and see if seeds are still there and look healthy, otherwise, re-sow.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

m1ckz

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2017, 02:32 »
i put a row in 3 weeks ago an there up with 2 leaf showing

xx
Dwarf French beans

Started by Chicken Pete on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 23, 2011, 20:01
by JayG
xx
Dwarf French Beans

Started by Snap Dragon on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 15, 2008, 18:59
by DD.
xx
Dwarf French Beans

Started by HaggisWhisperer on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 16, 2009, 19:39
by Trillium
xx
french dwarf beans

Started by marion on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 12, 2008, 11:57
by Beejay

Page created in 0.301 seconds with 38 queries.