Parsnip choice?

• 10 Replies

stompy

Parsnip choice?
« on: January 18, 2017, 12:37 »
Hi all,

I have grown parsnips in the past but generally end up with huge ones and often they have a fibrous core.
I'm looking for a variety that don't grow too big and are less firehouse, i have read up a bit and the one's that i have almost settled on are Tender and True and Gladiator.

Have any of you guys grown either of these or any others or have specific way or time to grow to get away from what i have had in the past (huge and fibrous)

Thanks in advance

Andy

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Parsnip choice?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 13:32 »
I don't always grow 'snips (space issues) but when I do, I sow Gladiator, ever since DD. recommended it  :lol:

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=77411.msg873276#msg873276

snowdrops

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2017, 15:27 »
Yep tender & true & gladiator here too although I had some 'The Student' as well last year & they've been ok, not got too big
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Blewit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2017, 15:30 »
I've grown Gladiator for the last few years. Some do grow rather huge but the core has always been edible.

crh75

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2017, 16:33 »
Sow them later so they don't get as big.  You get the bonus of better germination as well.
I sowed some early June last year and they are the perfect size now.  The variety is Countess and they are very tasty.

8doubles

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2017, 17:23 »
Gladiator are great , huge snips still have tender cores ! :) :)

Tenhens

• freedom lodge for tenhens ex battery 1 year on
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2017, 17:31 »
ARpoet has posted a video about parsnips in containers in this section , I asked about variety.

ARpoet's reply
"The variety i grew was Kings Tape Seeds Palace F1. I have already got next seasons seeds. They are dearer than loose seeds but in my opinion well worth it."

we also rescue rabbits and guinea pigs, grow own veg

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2017, 17:50 »
What varieties have you grown in the past and when are you harvesting them?  That can sometimes affect the woodiness of the core.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Gellideg

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2017, 17:56 »
I have grown Gladiator for years.I start them in tubes and they are about1/2 inches tall when I plant out around 7th May.Mine come huge and eat OK but I am trying no fertiliser at all this year andplanting 2 weeks later.By chance I was given some Guernsey seed last year,and they are smaller with the same care as others.To be clear,I am not growing Gladiator this time,only Guernsey.I hope this helps. John.

victoria park

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2017, 18:24 »
I have used most of the above varieties over the years, and also bulk standard white gem. Never had a problem with woody cores unless I have snips left into the next Spring, when they are thinking of sprouting again. I'm an early sower and tend to harvest early, from October onwards., babies for stir fries in September
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 18:25 by victoria park »

stompy

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2017, 07:36 »
What varieties have you grown in the past and when are you harvesting them?  That can sometimes affect the woodiness of the core.

In all honesty i can't remember, i just remember them being about 4 to 5 inchs at the top and i had to cut the core out as the kids (and myself) wouldnt eat them.

I have used most of the above varieties over the years, and also bulk standard white gem. Never had a problem with woody cores unless I have snips left into the next Spring, when they are thinking of sprouting again. I'm an early sower and tend to harvest early, from October onwards., babies for stir fries in September
We tend to roast them rather than mash or soup them so i'm looking for some to grow to about 2 to 3 inchs across i might look at sowing some later so they don't have as much growing time, also i think Gladiator is getting the most votes so that'll be the one i wil go for.

Thanks

Andy

xx
Parsnip seedlings/parsnip plants ?

Started by alan/gill on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 25, 2019, 11:44
by theothermarg
xx
Too much choice

Started by BigPaddy on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post September 23, 2008, 21:54
by Steve.P
xx
Tomato Choice??

Started by Hampshire Hog on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 02, 2014, 13:44
by gobs
question
Allotment Choice - help!

Started by GreenOwl on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post January 23, 2010, 14:09
by plum crumble

Page created in 0.383 seconds with 40 queries.