New arrival, back to 3 hens

• 14 Replies

danfinn1

• Experienced Member
New arrival, back to 3 hens
« on: October 27, 2016, 21:47 »
Bought a Barred Rock pol last Saturday. Well Hen is coming up 3 years old and getting inconsistent laying so I thought it time to bring in another. My bent toed, dodgy eye Speckled is laying most days, and I am delighted with her, She still wants me to carry her to her run  each night though :lol:

Well when we came home at noon on Saturday with our perfect Barred Rock, you would have thought the fox has arrived. I let Hen and Pecky, (yes she roosts on my chair back, pecks my shirt collar, hair, hat anything at her level, at dusk) out and they both stomped up the garden path shouting their heads off.

Been almost a week now and the flock dynamics are very interesting. I have Hen (the Boss) in her wooden coop, Pecky in the walk in eglu and Barb (Babs) in the dog cage in our conservatory.

Hen is showing her age now, Pecky is far too quick for her, the bullying is now much reduced and if pecky gets to the food first she just crowds hen out or skips to the water then back to the food etc, to frustrate old Hen. Meanwhile I am guardian of Babs, who I scoop out of harms way should the other two get nasty.

We are thinking of dividing our eglu run in two, so the two dotted ones can share. I have to build a nest box though for Babs then all should be well. Have to factor getting in  to get my eggs out as well :unsure:

Apart from a couple of skirmishes today they all free range in my garden quite well, and I watch with interest how poor old Hen will gradually have to accept she will not be top hen for much longer. :(

What a wonderfull experience keeping hens is :)
rip Sandy, rip Beryl, Henrietta

Know what would be nice in your garden, a few hens lol

greenjay

• Experienced Member
Re: New arrival, back to 3 hens
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2016, 20:14 »
hens are incredible. they certainly show you where the "hen pecked" phrase comes from, as there is a definite "pecking order"

danfinn1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2016, 21:32 »
And here they are :D
Henrietta.jpg
Pecky.jpg
Babs.jpg

Willow_Warren

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2016, 17:38 »
Ahhh... just lovely looking girls...

danfinn1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2016, 20:29 »
Had some success last night with the two dotties :). I left the connecting door open on the split walk in run to see what would happen at dusk. They had both been free ranging well and apart from the usual squabble on the back of my chair seemed better than normal. :D

To make things quicker I now scoop them up one by one and carry them to their runs, got fed up of shaking a tin, getting cold, and waiting :mad:. So hen first, then Babs, who came straight out of the connecting door into the Eglu coop. Then Pecky, dropped her in over the half gate and there they were! Both together in the same run :ohmy:, not fighting, then gently off to bed :D. Both laid today in the same nest box 8), not at the same time I should add. It was a cold night last night and I'm hoping that they got a lot of comfort from shared warmth.
So all is now well, but Hen would never share :(, just have to accept she's an old lady now, nearly 3 and still laying a couple a week :)

ghost61

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2016, 06:39 »
I am jealous.  My two old birds are in moult so don't want to stress them by mixing in the new ones.  Then one of the new hens fell ill.  She still is not well nearly two weeks later, so now I don't want to mix in the healthy new hen just in case the poorly hen survives and then has to face the gang of three alone.  My old birds can be vicious.  I did let the three out together when I thought the sick hen was about to give up the ghost, and the two older hens formed a pincer movement on the young hen.  She was delighted to be able to run around with some company but was unaware of the danger.  Junior ( one of the older birds) likes to dominate by jumping on others backs just like a cockerel, whereas her sister, is a pecker and has literally despatched a few wood pigeons if they dare to land in the garden.

Very worried about mixing them in.  I know nature has to take its course, but worried about the pecking bird more than Junior.  Also I feel that I do need to wait until the sickly hen either recovers or.........

Sassy

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2016, 09:20 »
If you have a set up that enables you to put a small coop and run within the main one it is brilliant for getting them used to each other without damage! Extra water and feed units work well when introducing fully. :) good luck.
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

ghost61

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2016, 11:43 »
They are in separate coops and run next to each other, and they take turns in being let out to free range.  Whe that happens they do 'talk' to each other, and fortunately the mesh on the newbies run is small so the pecker can't do any damage.  But whe the newbie is let out (the ill hen is indoors with us at the moment) the mesh on the older hens run is bigger and she can get nipped if she gets too close.  I thought about letting the new hen out with the less aggressive older bird first and keeping the pecker in her run to see if Junior accepts the new hen and the puts the pecker (known as Toppers) in her place.  Still waiting for the moult to be over to avoid stress ( for me too!)

danfinn1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2016, 22:52 »
Don't get me wrong. I still have to be the referee each day :mad: But only if they get rough, there will always be the nasty peck when my back is turned :(, but like children they know not to be naughty. Also at treat time they all get treated the same. 6 blueberries means 2 each,hand fed to make sure, each then gets carried down the garden individually at dusk. I'm sure they know what's going on and know the rules. Please remember Pecky was bullied for three months before Babs arrived. Henrietta was very nasty, so it does take time. The other thing is that Hen is fussed just as much as the other two, and told off too :D
I find the most trouble when they are bored or squabble over food or my chair :lol:, Babs regularly gets chased away, but she is now learning how to stay out of range. Don't despair Ghost just break up the fights, it will get better, of course I only have three. Today at lunch time I found an egg in the eglu run and one in the nest box, so I don't know what happened there ::)

danfinn1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2016, 15:45 »
Well it seems to be working quite well at the moment. I swap them over at lunch time, 2 dotties in the Malaga and Hen in the walk in. She enjoys the walk in as it is over soil, so she can have an undisturbed dirt bath. The dotties usually just try to eat as much as they can whilst at Hens pad :lol:. They will all share the walkin for a short while then Hen gets into bully mode :(
Bonus for me is I get to pick them up a lot, and they are getting very used to this :)
Hens Malaga is over slabs, to stop vermin and foxes, so I have decided to cover the floor with shavings to help with the droppings, I plan to replace the shavings twice a week, whilst the restrictions are in force. They seem happy enough 3 eggs today, two yesterday, three the day before.
Wife thinks it funny. "They are proper hens now" :lol:

Beekissed

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2016, 02:14 »
I can't imagine having to do all that moving and shaking just to keep a few chickens!   ???  That would drive me batty and then some.  Can't you just keep them in one house and pen area and let them establish an order among them as per normal? 

danfinn1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2016, 14:03 »
I suppose what I'm doing is best described as Keeping chickens as pets :D

Doing accounts most days for a job, looking after my flock every afternoon gets me outside, exercising and keeping fit :) It also breaks up the day nicely :D

I'm sure my hens enjoy their life as they keep us supplied with eggs most days, two so far today three yesterday :D I think quallity of life is what we all strive for and if I can give it, and get it then it is a win win for us all :)

Probably be very different if this was all I had to do each day :(

ghost61

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2016, 15:19 »
Unfortunately my ill hen had to be put to sleep, seems she had a tumour in her throat so she couldn't eat.  After nearly four weeks of hand feeding her, it was so sad to see her go.  So now Popsy the new hen is stuck on her own in her own run and house next to the older hens.  So at least she has some company without the hassle!  Popsy is a lovely friendly bird and desperately wants to play with other hens, so depending on how long the restrictions go on for, we are planning on getting up to three more hens in the spring, and hopefull they will instantly get on with Popsy and then it will be four against two in the new set up.  Thinking of altering the run layout and getting a bigger henhouse so even the older hens will be disorientated and less inclined to boss the others around - or that's the theory!  We'll have to ai the and see but at least the time spent planning takes my thoughts away from dear old Dipsy - I got very used to her being in our kitchen so much so the room seems empty without her.

danfinn1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2016, 20:22 »
Sad to lose them :( but life moves on. We have to expect that they don't live long, and can only give our hens the best quality of life we can, for the short time we have them. Well that's my philosophy 8). It's the same with dogs and cats, we have had three dogs over the years, and remember them all fondly

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2016, 09:12 »
Poor Dipsy, but you really did try with her.  If she was that ill, putting her to sleep was the only option.  Its not nice when it comes to that though  :(

xx
want hens in the back garden

Started by woodsmoke on The Hen House

36 Replies
Last post August 03, 2009, 15:01
by Foxy
xx
Getting Hens and Chicks back into the coup

Started by christine641960 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 24, 2010, 15:21
by Casey76
xx
Bare back hens - help needed please

Started by Sassy on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post September 04, 2009, 11:21
by Hensington
xx
First egg from our new arrival

Started by danfinn1 on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post October 28, 2016, 20:57
by danfinn1

Page created in 0.251 seconds with 40 queries.