Free Range Fences - How High?

• 6 Replies

MidlandBrewer

• Experienced Member
  • Homebrew Hero
Free Range Fences - How High?
« on: October 21, 2016, 14:45 »
Im thinking of moving my ladies out of the run into a full size free range paddock at the end of the garden (I have loads of space). I need to section them off however so they dont escape into next door or attack my veggies, itll also save on my back as Im 6'2'' and cant get in my run unless I crawl!
What is a sensible hight for a fence? None of my ladies have clipped wings and id like to keep it that way, i just want to give them more space and keep them safe and in one area.
Any advice will be appreciated.

David

Beekissed

Re: Free Range Fences - How High?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2016, 15:02 »
Height is not really the issue, as a chicken can mount up to the rafters in a barn...I have some right now that are flying up to a rafter 8 ft tall.  You'll need a fence without any solid surface onto which they can mount up and no solid surfaces near the fenceline they can mount up to, and then fly over the fence, as well. 

You can get by with a 4 ft. fence as long as you extend your fencing material above any fence posts or gates by at least 4-6 in. or more.  Even then there may be enterprising chickens that will mount up to the thin wire of the top of the fence(there's always a few that will...mark my words), so if using sturdy fencing material, you may even string heavy fishing line above the fence top at 4 and 6 in. levels above the fence to keep them from being able to mount to the fencing.  Any fence post top or gate will be a point of exit if you don't take these measures, even if you have a 6 ft. fence. 

An even better option is using electronetting for poultry for your fencing, which will also deter foxes and dogs while they are out on range.  It's easily moved and a great investment for free ranging chickens when you don't have a good dog on guard. 

ghost61

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2016, 05:27 »
Mine are always out in the garden.  I have six foot fences and gates, but the garden has a lot of climbers and so scaling the fences is probably too difficult for them!  However, mine know they are on to a good thing and rarely take flight - only if something frightens them, and even then they barely get higher than a couple of feet.  Keep them well fed and watered and they won't stray.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2016, 09:58 »
My daughter's chooks can get up onto the top of their coop and then over the fence into the paddock, but cannot get back as the top of the 1.5m fence is "soft" so they cannot perch on it. If they are spooked by something they can easily fly out of their run which has a 1.8 m fence... up and straight over the top without perching.

However, the main garden is surrounded by a mixed hedgerow made up of soft growth on the front and overhangs, rather than branches that provide perches, and this is a good, safe barrier. There is chicken wire in the base so they cannot walk out between sticks and visiting cats and foxes cannot get in either (unless they dig)

Would this help, David?

Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

MidlandBrewer

• Experienced Member
  • Homebrew Hero
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2016, 11:28 »
Thanks for all the advice everyone, youve given me alot to think about!

Im going to setup a seperate thread later on today to show my current setup and where I want to move to, any advice in the planning for the build would be amazing over in that section (Ill link it when I have it setup)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2016, 15:42 »
Thanks for all the advice everyone, youve given me alot to think about!

Im going to setup a seperate thread later on today to show my current setup and where I want to move to, any advice in the planning for the build would be amazing over in that section (Ill link it when I have it setup)

Look forward to it!

MidlandBrewer

• Experienced Member
  • Homebrew Hero

xx
Anybody free range?

Started by Beekissed on The Hen House

38 Replies
Last post October 28, 2016, 19:22
by greenjay
xx
When to allow chicks to free range?

Started by Casey76 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 04, 2009, 20:30
by Hensington
xx
Free range in the garden

Started by dragontattooist on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post February 24, 2008, 20:51
by Stree
xx
Storm & Free Range

Started by Prod on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post January 06, 2014, 08:39
by Sassy

Page created in 0.203 seconds with 36 queries.