compost system

• 22 Replies

andyf75

• Experienced Member
compost system
« on: October 19, 2016, 11:27 »
Not sure if this is the right part of the forums, but I知 having a dilemma over compost systems for my fairly large garden.
Currently have 2 daleks, but I have loads of old wood, plenty of space and have just acquired a shredder so I知 planning to upgrade my system and try and make more compost.
So should I just build a big square bin (or two) out of wood to supplement the daleks, or should I start from scratch with a 3-bin system and get rid of the daleks?
Any thoughts much appreciated! I know theres no right and wrong answers...

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: compost system
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 11:47 »
Personally I like the look of three wooden bins in a row as they are neat and tidy, and easy to remember which is being filled, which is "composting" and which you are using the contents of.

Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 12:08 »
I favour 3 wooden bins in a row. Easy to manage.

snowdrops

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2016, 13:52 »
Yep 3 in a row here too, but I wouldn't discard the dales straight away, you could always use them for weeds or start collecting in the Daley then when you have got enough transfer in to wooden bin 1. There's lots of advice that says building a heap all in one go speeds up the process as the heat builds
P.s, shredding it all will speed it up no end but green stuff might need drying off first as it will clog the shredder
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 13:53 by snowdrops »
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

andyf75

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2016, 14:40 »
Thanks all, I think I will build 3 bins and see how I go. I've read about building a heap all in one go, but not really sure how that works practically!

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2016, 14:56 »
I'd have 3 wooden bins if I didn't already have 3 daleks, if only because my daleks are round so can't be nested together neatly!  ::)

I'd be tempted to keep at least one though, because they are quite useful for keeping 'almost ready' compost in good condition with very little effort, and there is the convenience of just being able to lift them off to reveal your 'compost pie' when you are ready to use it.

I've never succeeded in creating a hot heap, mainly because I never have enough of the right mix of materials available at the same time, although it's worth trying because it's by far the quickest way to compost.

(Love what predictive text did to Snowdrop's post - 'dales' and 'Daley' instead of 'daleks' presumably - could have been much worse I suppose!  :lol:)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

ARPoet

• Experienced Member
  • I love growing and eating beans
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2016, 16:20 »
unwanted daleks are great to cover rhubarb in the new year to force an early crop.
Roger.

Its Grand Being Daft

KaySee

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2016, 17:10 »
Any suggestions for building wooden bins?
I bought my current one from primrose.co.uk, the slatted design looked a good idea but the cut outs sheer off making the whole structure flimsy and useless.
I need something that's a reasonable size, just over an acre of garden, and will last more than a season.

snow white

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2016, 17:26 »
Take three pallets of similar size and either screw or tie together. Line with old compost  bags and fill.

snowdrops

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2016, 17:30 »
I'd have 3 wooden bins if I didn't already have 3 daleks, if only because my daleks are round so can't be nested together neatly!  ::)

I'd be tempted to keep at least one though, because they are quite useful for keeping 'almost ready' compost in good condition with very little effort, and there is the convenience of just being able to lift them off to reveal your 'compost pie' when you are ready to use it.

I've never succeeded in creating a hot heap, mainly because I never have enough of the right mix of materials available at the same time, although it's worth trying because it's by far the quickest way to compost.

(Love what predictive text did to Snowdrop's post - 'dales' and 'Daley' instead of 'daleks' presumably - could have been much worse I suppose!  :lol:)

I was just checking you were awake, I know orangutans like to nap 😀. Also being an orangutan your arms will reach around a darlek to lift it off but I really struggle, me being only ickle 😊 At 5'3"

Chrysalis

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2016, 18:11 »
If you have polystyrene packaging lying around (loads in my garage!!) why not try putting it in the pallet gap? This would aid heat conservation and work a bit like a hotbin.

Hotbins are great, but need lots of feeding and are expensive. (Have to say, I love mine and the compost it makes is good and quick, so it will pay for itself in a year or so....)

Chrysalis

KaySee

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2016, 18:59 »
Sorry I'm a bit new to this but shouldn't the sides be open to let air flow?

snow white

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2016, 21:04 »
It keeps it falling out when you turn it.  You could put wire on the sides as well I suppose, but I like to control the moisture content of it as I cover it as well.  Well I used to.  I use a dalek now to stop rats making a winter home out of it so it is completely enclosed.

Chrysalis

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2016, 22:06 »
Sorry I'm a bit new to this but shouldn't the sides be open to let air flow?

I think it depends on the type of composting - aerobic/anaerobic digestion....?!
You don't have to enclose it totally... our hotbin has a small vent at the top and the bottom.  It gets really hot - up to 60C , so it cooks fast!  if you have more open sides the air flow is better, but the bin is cooler...

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2016, 22:19 »
My bins are made from pallets so there are gaps. I line the bins with sheets of cardboard to help block some of the larger gaps.

xx
Dumb dumb question about 3 compost bin system

Started by cammi on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post September 02, 2014, 10:53
by Kristen
xx
'Alan Titchmarch' system

Started by Gleavo on Grow Your Own

34 Replies
Last post October 03, 2010, 21:22
by Trikidiki
xx
Anyone use an auto watering system?

Started by JohnB47 on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post July 06, 2011, 18:45
by JohnB47
xx
auto irrigation system

Started by drmoonshine on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 24, 2011, 21:28
by Doddy

Page created in 0.31 seconds with 39 queries.