Wartime chickens...

• 5 Replies

Growster...

Wartime chickens...
« on: September 23, 2016, 11:57 »
It's not often I post on this section, as we don't keep chickens, but Mrs Growster and I were talking generally about wartime gardening (C.H.Middleton's excellent books), and while I remember my dad had several chickens, and a couple of geese, we still wonder how the chicken owner got on with feeding them when food was so short!

Any responses in layman's terms please, this is definitely not my subject, but is certainly yours!

;0)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Wartime chickens...
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2016, 12:13 »
In the Wartime Kitchen and Garden series, they showed neighbours taking kitchen scraps and peelings round to chicken keepers in exchange for the odd egg or two.

I'm not sure if that is what everyone did, but it would make sense.  I think being able to provide 'off ration' food would have made you a very popular neighbour  :)

Growster...

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2016, 15:08 »
That really does make a lot of sense, News. Of course, a bagful of spud-bashings for a couple of eggs would be a real deal!

And wouldn't everyone be better neighbours for the privilege.

For the record, we always give lots of spare stuff to chums here, but as they don't do chickens now, we just have the benefit of a big 'Thank you', which works just as well! (but doesn't boil as easy)!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 18:17 by Growster... »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2016, 15:52 »
I the early 50's, we had a big old cauldron that got all the potato peelings, cabbage stalks, in fact anything left over (not much in those days, granted) boiled up with poultry meal. One of my chores was feeding the 'mash' to the chickens.
I seem to remember that sometimes they had porridge, as well  :unsure: during the war you could get the meal instead of the egg ration, I think.
AS soon as they stopped laying mum would pick them up by their head and swing them round to break their necks  :ohmy: :ohmy: I tried not to see that bit  :dry:
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 15:52 by mumofstig »

Beekissed

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2016, 16:27 »
Free range and field corn.  My grandmother only ever fed these two things to her chickens and they lived and produced just fine. 

Food scraps went to hogs...even the dishwater was given to the hogs, as it had small bits of food in it and the lye soap was good for deworming. 

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2016, 21:39 »
Like Mum, when I was little my Dad used to boil all the peelings etc up with poultry meal.  And they also had porridge.  I can still smell the warm meal smell sitting here thinking about it.  I used to huck it in the chicken run for them.

Also all the out leaves of cabbage, anything they would eat really!  Apparently, during the war, my Dad also kept pigs on his allotment.  He had 3 and an inspector used to come round when you wanted to kill one and you were supposed to give the government 50% of what you had.  My Dad used to give the inspector a nice leg or something, and he would turn a blind eye to exactly how many pigs my Dad kept!    ;) ;)

xx
When to introduce young chickens to older chickens?

Started by wardy on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post May 14, 2014, 21:15
by barley
xx
chickens - do I need to keep my dog form fouling where the chickens roam

Started by tracybro on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 17, 2011, 20:54
by Kym503
xx
chickens attacking chickens

Started by mill-owner on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post May 29, 2009, 17:26
by mill-owner
xx
what chickens

Started by staffschicks on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post November 13, 2008, 18:50
by staffschicks

Page created in 0.231 seconds with 40 queries.