Feather pecking

• 4 Replies

Flowerpower136

Feather pecking
« on: August 22, 2016, 17:28 »
Katie, our top chook, has recently started pulling beakfulls of feathers from her companions. She's aiming for the softer fluffy ones underneath and round the legs. No blood drawn yet, but she's become a right pest.
I've just applied 'scarper' spray to the victims, ie everyone but her, and whilst it's giving her reason to think twice I'm not sure at this point if it's going to solve the problem. Seems to work because of the horrible smell, but not sure if it tastes bad or not.
Whole run now stinks and I've just had to have a shower and all clothes in the wash. Awful stuff. Poor girls. :(
Wondering what experience others have had, and if anyone can recommend a different product. Not keen to get this stuff again.

Beekissed

grinling

Re: Feather pecking
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2016, 21:37 »
I have had this when they are moulting. I have added extra protein (dog food), but this time they are refeathering up good.
Some people use beak clips with good results.

I am the cockerel so I would pick up the offender and walk around the garden with her.....though the head girl thinks I am going to cull!! :lol:

LILLILEAF

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2016, 08:22 »
Hi
 I know feather pecking can be a big issue,i have used beak bits with good results,but the best result is seperate her from the others,what will happen other birds will start to copy what this one is doing,when they draw blood it will just get worse,the colour of blood will increase to more pecking then they will attack the bird more and more,next thing it can be death of the worse picked on hen.
 Do you have any thing veg hung up for you birds to peck at ie cabbages,sweetcorn cob,some thing to take their minds off the feather pecking?.this can be a nasty habit you have to stop it as soon as possible.

Flowerpower136

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2016, 19:41 »
Thank you everyone for suggestions and advice.
Glad to report that things have improved. Am wondering if it was the stress of Speckle in the anti broody cage that got Katie stressed. One of her girls not entirely under her control? Not sure.
They are in a run most the time, but it's a big run 16 mtr2 and lots of interesting things including hanging cabbage, dust baths, swing, mirror, etc, etc. They come out into the garden occasionally under supervision. Always busy, so don't think it was boredom.
Had a look at the beak rings, bit nervous of such things really. How does the chicken cope?
Anyway, thankfully the spray seems to have done the job, though it's not been easy.
Gave up with the Scarper. What evil stuff it is!  I really did not want to repeat the application, for my sake as well as theirs!  So tried Barrier Anti Peck spray instead. Much less traumatic for all concerned so was able to apply every day. After 3 days she'd definitely got the idea. Fingers crossed, and spray at the ready, think we are sorted!😃
Thanks again. Much appreciated.

xx
feather pecking

Started by fourmoon on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post June 12, 2011, 13:44
by carsmarco252
xx
feather pecking

Started by ken2 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post February 17, 2010, 14:37
by chooksbury
xx
feather pecking

Started by Shazzer on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post October 20, 2008, 16:55
by Bodger
xx
Feather Pecking

Started by Miller on The Hen House

24 Replies
Last post July 30, 2009, 20:02
by coxyMFC

Page created in 0.255 seconds with 38 queries.