Broody Hens

• 20 Replies

Willow_Warren

Broody Hens
« on: August 05, 2016, 09:09 »
With all 3 of my pekin bantams now broody I am thinking of getting one of them some eggs to sit on!

I've not done this before so have a few questions:

1 - Need to find broody coop!  Could I convert an old rabbit hutch I have (it's quite large!!)
2 - Realistically how many eggs could my little pekin site on?  She's only teeny!
3 - and advise?  I've off to do some reasearch elsewhere anyhow.
4 - cockrels!  I can't keep them so they'll have to be despastched! (this isn't a question - I've just got to get over it as I live in a built up area so they'll have to go before they start making a noise).

Thanks

Hannah :)

snow white

Re: Broody Hens
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2016, 17:45 »
With all 3 of my pekin bantams now broody I am thinking of getting one of them some eggs to sit on!

I've not done this before so have a few questions:

1 - Need to find broody coop!  Could I convert an old rabbit hutch I have (it's quite large!!)
2 - Realistically how many eggs could my little pekin site on?  She's only teeny!
3 - and advise?  I've off to do some reasearch elsewhere anyhow.
4 - cockrels!  I can't keep them so they'll have to be despastched! (this isn't a question - I've just got to get over it as I live in a built up area so they'll have to go before they start making a noise).

Thanks

1. Yes.  Needs to be on the ground.
2. If bantam eggs then about 6 or 7
3. Make sure your bantams are really broody first.
4. 50/50 mix of hens and cocks but be prepared for 100% cocks.

Willow_Warren

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2016, 12:24 »
Well my little girl is now sat on 6 eggs!

I know it's quite late in the year but I will just have to see how it goes.

With regards to being prepared of cockrels - I keep saying I'm prepared!

Thansk :)

Flowerpower136

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2016, 09:29 »
Really interested to hear how you get on.  I've just had our first ever broody hybrid, and decided to break the broodiness rather than let it continue. 
I did think of acquiring some fertile eggs, but don't actually have much clue what's involved re chicks and their needs.  I know the hen does the hard work, but suspect there is more to it than that!
Like you I flinch at the idea of dealing with unwanted cockerels.  And actually, just now, wouldn't have had rooms for more hens anyway, though they would have been easy to rehome.
Please keep us updated with your experience, it might influence what I do in future if Speckle goes broody again.

grinling

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2016, 21:42 »
you now need to think food, if medicated the hen and chicks need to be kept separate because if the other hens eat it you will need to throw your eggs away.
What eggs did you buy?

Willow_Warren

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2016, 12:22 »
All 6 eggs have hatched, I honestly wasn't expecting all of them to hatch.

I just bought chick crumbs, small holder range, she and the chicks are separated from my other girls...

Hannah

grinling

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2016, 17:15 »
piccys please

Willow_Warren

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2016, 06:27 »

Willow_Warren

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2016, 06:29 »
[/url]image by Willow_Warren, on Flickr\

snow white

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2016, 07:52 »
Aww,  lots of cute value going on here. :D

Willow_Warren

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2016, 17:56 »
Ok, so they are getting way more active and starting to eat me our of house and home...

They are only getting chick crumb still, but for such little birds really starting to munch through it, of course Lily is taking her share :)

So cute keep looking a them to see if I can tell who are boys and who are girls, but so far I can't tell any difference... but they're only a week and a half old!

grinling

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2016, 18:55 »
They are gorgeous.

What eggs did you put under her?

Willow_Warren

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2016, 07:15 »
They are a variety if Pekin bantams, two are the same but all other different.  The women offered to write down for me what they were but I said no, but kind of regretting that now... 2 are frizzles. I'm sure their colours will show through befor long.

They are total nutters in the morning and getting more active by the day!  They are still in the hutch and wondering when I could start introducing them to the lawn, enclosed, they are way to diddly to free range yet, Even my own cat might see them as dinner and wouldn't want that...

Hannah  :D

grinling

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2016, 21:31 »
 would open the hutch door in the morning as I used a small run with covered top and closed at night.

They poop loads so had to move every few days....if there was any medicated food left the others ate it and I'm still here.

Watching chicks scratch soil is good. Try to mow the lawn before putting outside so the grass is short for them to eat.

Willow_Warren

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2016, 09:56 »
Well the the little chicks are now approaching 6 weeks old...

They are slightly apporaching "an ugly duckling stage".

It looks as though I have 3 boys and 3 girls.... (anyone looking for a pekin bantam cockrel!!)

I really only had plans if I had an even number of girls.  2 girls I'd keep them both.  If i'd got 4 girls I'd rehome 2 and keep 2.  But 3 is confusing me!  I wouldn't want to rehome just one on their own as that's not right... I'd really like to keep at least 2.

I only have a standard eglu so whilst I'd be ok with 5 in there I'm not sure there's room for 6 (I have 3 adults already).

Anyhow, they had their first adventure out in the garden at the weekend,  they seems to enjoy themeselves and were incredably cute, although I had to keep counting to 6 to make sure I hadn't lost any as they are still quite small!

xx
Which hens for our broody? Need good layers and hardy hens, - which to choose

Started by sarahkk on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post February 18, 2011, 12:24
by sarahkk
xx
Hens sit but don't lay (not broody)

Started by VeggieVirgin on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 26, 2010, 11:56
by VeggieVirgin
xx
Broody Hens

Started by Prod on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 03, 2014, 22:59
by grinling
xx
I have several of my hens gone broody on me

Started by pepsi100 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 22, 2011, 08:56
by joyfull

Page created in 0.302 seconds with 38 queries.