Worried about my chickens - help?

• 2 Replies

Under The Hill

Worried about my chickens - help?
« on: July 13, 2016, 10:03 »
Two of my three chickens are not laying at the moment.  This has been going on for 4 or 5 days.  The only one laying is the one that is supposed to lay less.  Both of the two who are not laying are going into their house where they lay and staying in there and then coming out and no egg?   They don't seem unwell are eating fine.  Should I be worried?

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Worried about my chickens - help?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2016, 12:04 »
There are a few reasons that may be causing this.

Hybrid layers will lay pretty much year round, but a lot of pure breed chickens do lay in cycles, with the most eggs being laid in spring and autumn, then periods of no eggs over summer and winter.  Age also plays a part, with young chickens laying way more than older girls.  Hybrids can tail off after 12-18 months, pure breeds after 2-3 years.

The other things that out them off lay is broodiness and moulting.  Broodiness usually means they sit in the nest box and complain long and loud if moved.  With moulting, you see feathers lying around and they can look fairly scraggy after a week or two.

Also check when you last wormed them and check the house for red mite and the birds for lice.  If they get lots of treats and are a bit overweight, this can also affect laying.

So a few things to consider and check out, but nothing to worry about at this point  :)

grinling

Re: Worried about my chickens - help?
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2016, 20:08 »
Do they have access to oyster shell? Do they free range? If they do not free range do you provide "greens" (cabbages etc). If they do free range check everywhere in the garden for eggs, they might be partly buried.
Are they in good health with clear eyes and clean breathing?

xx
really worried and don't know what to do for the best

Started by wolverine on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post November 09, 2010, 18:49
by rachelr
xx
Getting worried now

Started by Evansent on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post August 19, 2009, 13:14
by Evansent
xx
Ok, i am really worried now!!

Started by bedifferent on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post May 05, 2008, 13:46
by bedifferent
xx
Should I be worried???

Started by mo-jo on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post September 04, 2010, 16:16
by kazzii2010

Page created in 0.242 seconds with 40 queries.