Feather Loss

• 6 Replies

Mr R Design

Feather Loss
« on: April 21, 2016, 09:28 »
I have had a Google but can't find a reason that seems to fit.

I have three chickens all just under one year old and one is losing the feathers predominantly around the back of her neck and slightly around her vent area. I noticed it about one and a half weeks ago.

She is still laying, comb and wattle is as coloured as the other two and from what I can see has no redness or sore looking skin just nice smooth bald looking skin, she won't let me pick her up to look closer.

I have been watching to see if she is being picked on but she does not seem to be.

I am assuming it is not lice as the other two are fine and from what I have read it is the wrong time of year for a molt.

Any ideas?

Casey76

Re: Feather Loss
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2016, 12:33 »
It does sound like moulting, even though it is at the wrong time of year.

If they didn't do a full moult at the beginning of winter, then she may be going through a partial moult now, going into spring.

grinling

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2016, 20:16 »
What are they fed on including extras?
When opening the pophole in the morning grab a hen in turn and check each for lice. If you haven't dusted recently then dust them.

Do you see an of the feathers...if yes then they are mouting...if no they might need extra protein, I give mine cheap dog food as an extra. 1 big tin over 4 days.   Are you getting eggs daily from them all?

Mr R Design

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2016, 06:18 »
Fed on a 50/50 mix of Heygates Layers Pellets and Argo Poultry Mix Complete. The only extras I give them are cabbage, kale, squash, apples, pears etc but not every day and not big portions. Once a day they will get less than a palm full of scratch between them to get them back in to the run when I shake my tin so that I can lock up.

There are feathers in the run from Scrawny and she is definitely laying. The only feathers in the egg boxes are little fluffy ones from around her bum but we are talking two or three not handfulls. The amount of feathers in the run are of sufficient quantity to cover a neck so it doesn't seem like the others are pecking her to eat them.

She is a Barnevelder and the other two are Welsummers and the amount of eggs being layed have not changed in quantity or size.

I have read up on moulting but from what I have seen it is the wrong time of year and she is to young at just under a year, I got all 3 of them around June last year. If it is relevant she was the first to start laying and began the middle of November last year. If it is moult maybe starting to lay in November has caused it as I was not expecting her to start laying until earlier this year although saying that the Wellsummers started in December.

It is pretty much just around her neck, ignore what I said previously about it being around her vent a bit as I have had a closer look.

Generally she is fine and is preening herself as much as the others. Appearance wise you could argue that she has the appearance of a cat that is starting to go in to moult whereby when you look at them they look fluffy'ish and a bit unkempt and in need of a brush.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2016, 06:29 »
at her age it will be a partial moult, nothing to worry about, they can have these at any time of the year when young.
Hens can start to lay at any time of the year - it's only adults over 2 or 3 that ease up over winter (depending on their breed).
Staffies are softer than you think.

Mr R Design

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2016, 14:31 »
And now she's gone broody!!!!!

I have managed to pick her up and no critters crawling about on her.

She has pecked the feathers off her breast and won't come out the nest box unless physically removed and the coop door shut to stop her going back in.

I have changed the nest box floors for wire mesh and will block off access to the nest boxes tonight in case she is sleeping in them instead of on the perches.

Any other tips and does this have any bearing on the loss of neck feathers?

grinling

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2016, 19:28 »
Keep an eye on the other hens as they might not want to lay on mesh and go elsewhere...easy to spot as the broody will be missing.

Hopefully she will be back to normal very soon.

xx
feather loss

Started by chelle on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 05, 2007, 18:04
by Aunt Sally
xx
feather loss

Started by tiff on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post July 11, 2008, 12:50
by Miller
xx
Feather loss

Started by Beano on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 29, 2014, 11:39
by Sassy
xx
feather loss

Started by Maeve on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 04, 2011, 22:16
by OpiumEater

Page created in 0.25 seconds with 40 queries.