Parsnips - cardboard tube method

• 28 Replies

Gardener and Rabbit

• Experienced Member
Parsnips - cardboard tube method
« on: April 01, 2016, 13:17 »
I'm starting my parsnip seed off today, indoors. They'll then be moved into cardboard tubes to grow on, before planting out. As there's often discussion about this method, I thought this year I'd share it on this thread, and then anyone who's interested can follow it.

The main reason I use this method is that my soil often goes from cold and wet to hot and dusty very quickly, and I find germination erratic at the best of times. I don't want too many "misses" , and this method is very certain. The other benefit is that I won't have to thin the seedlings, which can attract carrot flies.

I'm using a pack of  the variety "Tender and True" from last year, which I usually find is okay;  if it isn't, I'll be able to see within a few days that the seed hasn't germinated and get a fresh pack.

I'm starting the seed off on a couple of pieces of kitchen towel, folded in half and wetted, in a cereal bowl. Sprinkle the seed on, fold the towel over the top, put a lid on, and leave on a warm windowsill.

DSC02648-001.JPG
DSC02650-001.JPG
DSC02654-001.JPG

Gardener and Rabbit

• Experienced Member
Re: Parsnips - cardboard tube method
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2016, 13:21 »
DSC02655-001.JPG
DSC02657-001.JPG
DSC02659-001.JPG

Tenhens

• freedom lodge for tenhens ex battery 1 year on
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2016, 15:02 »
Will be interested how you get on. We have tried parsnips in the past with little success, which is frustrating as they are delicious roasted.  I'm not sure if I read it on these  pages but I understand that parsnip seed don't keep well.
we also rescue rabbits and guinea pigs, grow own veg

Ivor Backache

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2016, 20:35 »
I always use this method. Toilet paper tubes are a little too small. Sometimes find the root emerging as the seed leaves emerge. The seed grows a very long root before germination shows. I use kitchen paper tubes cut back to about 8". I then plant them on either side of the allotment next to the path. Use  a 2l plastic pop bottle with top and bottom cut off, as markers and protection.

Headgardener22

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2016, 21:17 »
I've tried this method (admitedly with toilet rolls) but I gave up because on my soil (I'm on fairly heavy clay) the parsnips grew to the end of the tube and then stopped. So I ended with parsnips which were four inches long and four inches in diameter and full of core.
What I now do is to make a a drill and fill it with compost and then sow the parsnips into that.

Gardener and Rabbit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2016, 20:12 »
A quick update: only one seed has germinated so far.  I've just transferred that into a cardboard tube, filled with multi-purpose compost (Verve), and watered it in.  6 tubes fit nicely in a supermarket mushroom container. Then it's going back onto the windowsill, until it starts to show through. 

Meanwhile, I've bought a fresh pack of seed, and set those off this evening. Sometimes I can get away with using the same pack for a second year, but not this year. At least with this method you can see what's happening, or rather not happening!
DSC02660-001.JPG
DSC02664-001.JPG

Gardener and Rabbit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2016, 18:58 »
6 days later, and the fresh pack of seeds has germinated already. Those that have sprouted have gone into tubes, and back on the windowsill...
DSC02665-001.JPG
DSC02668-001.JPG
DSC02676-001.JPG

Gardener and Rabbit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2016, 19:01 »
Meanwhile the only seed that germinated from the old pack has come through now, so it's time to put it outside. This wall is in a warm and sheltered spot.
DSC02671-001.JPG

Gardener and Rabbit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2016, 19:33 »
As soon as the seedlings emerge I put them outside, so that's been 12 days from starting the fresh seed off on April 11th indoors to having these seedlings outdoors.  I've had to keep an eye on the watering, as the tubes can dry out quickly, inside or outdoors.

Once they're actually growing, they seem to be very reliable. I don't normally lose any at this stage, even though it might be a bit colder still than they'd like.
DSC02678-001.JPG

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2016, 20:15 »
I found out the hard way that the key to outdoor sowing success is to delay sowing until mid May. I've done this for last ten years (after unsuccessfully faffing about with tubes etc for years prior to that) and have had a great harvest every year

AnneB

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2016, 08:10 »
I found out the hard way that the key to outdoor sowing success is to delay sowing until mid May. I've done this for last ten years (after unsuccessfully faffing about with tubes etc for years prior to that) and have had a great harvest every year
I completely agree.  I sow mine at the end of the first week in May, direct into the ground. I usually get a lovely crop, ready from around mid September onwards.   Last year not so successful, not sure why, possibly seed related but the 3 years prior to that were very good.   
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 08:13 by AnneB »

lettice

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2016, 12:45 »
Tried many methods over the years and as others have found the best way is to sow direct in early May.
I do also sow some in mid March in my greenhouse and write the date on the label. I did in March 19th this year and they came up about 20 or so days later and some even 30 days later. Very slow crop, that just need patience. The ones sown in the greenhouse do get a head start and ready to eat November, but no better in size or taste. But then do find in Jan/Feb when we get a few frosts here that they do taste sweeter.
I do grow radish from June to November between each parsnip row.
That's white gem, November to Feb is picking time.
Having some from the freezer roasted today!

wapello

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2016, 14:59 »
Ive used tube for my baby leeks they seem to be a bit slow wont do that way again, ive planted out 30 parsnip
plants so far still got two trays to go,, with my carrots im trying this way ive  seeded two trays , what i did was to sit in the garden droped a seed  then another etc [that did my eyes in] spaced out im going to wait till they are strong then in the garden is dig out the size of the tray and  then slide the whole lot out into ground and not touch the roots
ive got beetroot in the ground  some in trays, raddish among the onion sets and lettuce plants dotted about in with my lilies,,
My runner beans are chomping on the bit waiting to go out,,,but my six Himalayan poppies are getting big will have to sort them soon i think big pots so i can move them around the garden to find the right place for them,,,,
Colin

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2016, 19:06 »
Just for the hell of it, I sowed a row today, 24th April, 3 weeks earlier than planned. Not expecting too much but will report back on success or failure. Will sow the main rows alongside this in mid May as planned so should have a controlled experiment as shade and soil are both identical

wapello

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2016, 16:40 »
Have you covered them over,?  might be a bit colder where you are than where i am will be intresting to  hear your
findings,,,

xx
leeks parsnips carrots tube growing

Started by duncan on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 07, 2007, 11:20
by duncan
xx
toilet tube pots ?

Started by evie2 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post September 04, 2010, 15:32
by Kristen
xx
Potato growing videos on you tube.

Started by T J on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 22, 2009, 08:39
by cathangirl
xx
My new obsession; Charles Dowding You Tube videos!

Started by SnooziSuzi on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 08, 2018, 11:56
by SnooziSuzi

Page created in 0.314 seconds with 38 queries.