Red Mites

• 10 Replies

coco

• Experienced Member
Red Mites
« on: March 17, 2016, 18:01 »
I now this subject has probably been done to death, but I'm absolutely gutted to find red mites in the girls coop today  :(  had my chickens for 7 years now and never had a problem, but tonight I was cleaning them out and lifted the perch and a small red blob just bigger than a two pound coin was underneath the perch at the end where they sleep :(  poked it a bit 'cos I thought it might be little red spiders, but it was obvious they were full of blood, a quick google confirms they are red mites.

Can't believe it, I know they're common but I feel real bad like I've neglected the girls ... poor things have been being eaten at night and I had no idea :( they're busy digging in the garden and don't seem concerned at all.  Where have they come from?  Have the ladies picked them up in the garden? Or have wild birds bought them in?

The only thing I have in the house at the minute is Jeyes, so I've given the coop a really good blast with hose, scrubbed it with Jeyes mix and another hose, got rid of everything I could see but who knows what's lurking in there.  Off the shop to get some proper stuff tomorrow, I'm going to be paranoid about this now ... on a mission!!!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 18:17 by coco »

coco

• Experienced Member
Re: Red Mites
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2016, 08:01 »
Just been and let the girls out this morning, and checked under the perch and only about twenty of the * there.  Looks like I was lucky and caught them early. Another good scrub on the cards though, makes me itchy just thinking about them. x

Casey76

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2016, 08:11 »
If you have any DE, you can make a paste with it (mix with a little washing up liquid - for more exact instructions see the sticky for Hillfooters slurry) then paint it on the ends of the perches etc.

The DE helps to kill red mite (the individual diatoms are so sharp that they break the exoskeleton of the mites, causing them to dehydrate and die).

You can also paint the slurry in all the crevices of the coop, in the eaves, along the perches etc.  It's a more organic way of controlling them than Jeyes fluid alone ;)

coco

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2016, 08:50 »
Thanks for that Casey.  Yep will pick some DE on the way home tonight, the Jeyes was the only thing I had in the house yesterday.

Luckily there weren't many of them, be on your way red mites  >:(

8doubles

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2016, 12:33 »
A good blast with the hose will not help, you need them dead not dislodged so they can  reappear after the coop has been cleared.

A removable wooden perch from my coop got treated with a gas blowtorch! :)

Dettol and DE did the rest !

coco

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2016, 21:15 »
Just checking back for any further advice, as just wondering.

Have been using the DE and dusting and powdering, filling any gaps with it, etc.   

The few red mites that continue to appear seem to be sitting on top of the DE  :unsure: red so obviously been dining with the girls, but actually sat on top of the powder in the morning ... is this usual, am I missing them in my cleaning? or are they coming in on the birds from the garden? 

Just today I've put some DE in their favourite bathing holes in the garden which might help.

thanks
x

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2016, 21:51 »
They could be stopped in their tracks by the DE and that's why you are finding them there.

Have you tried Poultry Shield?  It would be another spray the coop out job and it takes a day or so to work, but it is very effective.  If you have been using DE for nearly a month and are still finding mites, it could be well worth having a go with it :)

coco

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2016, 08:30 »
Thanks for your reply.

Had a good clean out again yesterday, and chucked loads of the DE around, this morning there are some on top of the powder again ... only look half red if that makes sense ... just wondered how they'd got across to the chucks in the first place, unless they've abseiled in from the roof  :(

Theres not loads, but I think it's become my obsession to get rid of them.  I've actually got wood to build a new coop as this one is fairly rotten at the bottom, making lots of hidey holes which is probably half of the problem.

x

EDIT TO ADD: Just realised what you meant New Shoot ... those that are on top of the DE are the dead bodes, which is good news 'cos they're all about 1/2 inch from the edges, which prob means that's as far as the got  :D
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 15:43 by coco »

Sassy

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2016, 09:40 »
Keep at it and hopefully they will get less and less. The mites can survive in the area for a long time without feeding.   :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

coco

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2016, 10:46 »
Just lurking on the forum, as usual, and thought a quick update for anyone with the same problem.

Took about 3/4 weeks, but with plenty of DE in the coop and some Poultry Shield sprayed into all the cracks and gaps no more mites :D   so stick with it, they will go eventually.

coco
x

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2016, 12:09 »
Perseverance does pay off with red mite.  Glad to hear you got rid of them  :)

xx
Anyone tried predatory mites to control red mites?

Started by VeggieVirgin on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 30, 2014, 15:36
by grinling
xx
Mites

Started by Cal_Leghorn on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post November 02, 2010, 08:01
by ehs284
xx
mites

Started by sussexchook on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post July 09, 2012, 12:58
by Sassy
xx
Mites?

Started by EggBound on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 21, 2009, 22:32
by Foxy

Page created in 0.217 seconds with 40 queries.