Digging in Green Manure ?

• 7 Replies

Sleepingpopman

• Experienced Member
Digging in Green Manure ?
« on: February 11, 2016, 09:45 »
Morning.
Hey 3 dry days in a row with some lovely sunshine to help dry things out, hopefully
enough to get on with things on our little veg plot.
Q1 :- Last November for the 1st time of using it I set some Green Manure (ideal for spuds)
on the section of our small veg plot which is for this years early spuds. On the pkt it said cut
down as they start to flower & dig in but they have not showed any sign of flowering yet so
do I cut them back now so I can get on & prepare things?
Q 2 :- Do I dig all the greenery in as there's loads of it or does it go in compost bin & just
dig in the root system, the instructions on the pkt were a bit useless, a bit like I feel with this
question but as my late dad used to say, if you don't know ask.
Any help would be gratefully received.
Keith.   

m1ckz

Re: Digging in Green Manure ?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 12:21 »
never used it  but ive seen plotholders an they dig it all in

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 19:06 »
Ideally you dig it all in, and must do so before it sets seed.

However, I grew grazing rye once and it was very long when I came to do something with it; eventually, I chopped it down and just dug in the roots.  Otherwise it would have been unmanageable (and the roots didn't rot down properly anyway some months later).

They usually advise digging in at least 2 or 3 weeks before you sow seeds; it's probably not quite as important for spud tubers but try this gap as a rule of thumb.

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Stewarty

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 22:39 »
I grow quite a bit of grazing rye every winter, sometimes mixed with winter tares / vetch. I have 25 poles altogether, so usually have about 10 poles of grazing rye. Because I have back and joint problems I can't do much digging, so tend to either strim the rye, or use a hover mower, around late February to early March. Then I rotovate it in. Sometimes it takes 2 rotovating sessions to get it all neatly covered, including the roots. Then you must leave it a few weeks before sowing small seeds, as the rye gives off a germination inhibiting chemical for a while  -  though you can plant sizable seedings, like pumpkins...
And I always leave an uncut fringe of rye around the edge of the plot. it will grow to about 6 feet tall, and provide some wind protection and privacy. It gives seed heads as long as your finger, which you can sow again in autumn....

gremlin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016, 22:58 »
Depends on the green manure.  Ideally dig it in, but mustard or phacelia is much easier to just pull up in handfuls and put in the compost bin. I have usually just emptied the bin of last year's rotted stuff, so I have space available.

I tried grazing rye once.  Never again.  It's too tough to dig in and too hard to pull up. I don't have a rotavator.....or even a great big tractor and plough.
Sometimes my plants grow despite, not because of, what I do to them.

maddave

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2016, 16:13 »
Depends on the green manure.  Ideally dig it in, but mustard or phacelia is much easier to just pull up in handfuls and put in the compost bin. I have usually just emptied the bin of last year's rotted stuff, so I have space available.

I tried grazing rye once.  Never again.  It's too tough to dig in and too hard to pull up. I don't have a rotavator.....or even a great big tractor and plough.

Oh! Dont say that! I've grown rye this year as green manure. I have a rotavator, so was just going to go over it with that a few times.  Wasn't going to trim or anything as it is only around 15 cms at the minute.  I have quite soft sandy soil, so hoping it will just get churned up in the blades.

Stewarty

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2016, 18:45 »
I've always found that sometime during March gazing rye starts to grow again rather quickly. Can get about 2 ft high and beautifully dense and green by early April. I tend to leave it till then because I want the bulk of biomass. So I find I need to strim it or hover-mow it as otherwise the rotovator tines become choked with the long, fibrous grass-like leaves.

And I tend to want to get it straight underground, rather than into my compost heap. Not sure that's especially rational of me, but it's one of those habits I've developed....

Christine

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2016, 19:23 »
I like phacelia as a green manure - if you let it flower you get all sorts of lovely pollinators visit the plot. Red clover is good for that as well. But then I like a few flowers round the place - as there are hay fever sufferers in the family it's no use doing cut flowers. I do borage as well for the same reason (on compost heap, flowers are edible).

Fenugreek needs keeping an eye on as it can get away with itself if you don't get it dug in fast enough. But as you can plant that in August you can let it go and dig it in end of September or in October and it doesn't matter if there's quite a bit of it as it has winter to do its own thing in the ground.

The one that really needs to be cut back before flowering is buckwheat. That's a glorious self seeder - beats Icelandic poppies but quite some.

xx
Digging in green manure

Started by JohnB47 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 13, 2011, 08:14
by Coach
xx
Manure - Digging in

Started by dazza on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post November 03, 2008, 08:58
by Rampant_Weasel
xx
Digging manure in.

Started by maxie on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 12, 2010, 18:31
by BostonInbred
xx
digging in manure

Started by Neil Doncaster on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post November 24, 2014, 18:13
by Neil Doncaster

Page created in 0.321 seconds with 37 queries.