Horse manure

• 6 Replies

kitch

Horse manure
« on: February 09, 2016, 16:33 »
Just had some Luvly fresh horse manure dropped off at the allotment, how long is it before it safe to put on the garden, cos have heard it's very potent when it's fresh

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Horse manure
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 16:38 »
As long as it doesn't smell, it's ok to use  :)

Dantheman

• Experienced Member
  • :) :) :)
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2016, 18:51 »
Hey,

I would store it in a compost bin till next year if it's that fresh to be on the safe side.  If you don't have a bin free leave where you have the space for a few months until the is no smell you might have to turn is a few times to help aerate it.
Dear God, Please can you stop the wind and rain and bring on the nice weather. Amen

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2016, 20:53 »
I agree with Mumofstig. We have three ponies and since autumn I've been putting fresh manure on the beds. Will not put any more on until next autumn. I just leave it on top and in April I'll just turn it into the soil, till it and plant on it. No problems except not really recommended for carrots and parsnips as it just causes them to fork

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2016, 11:39 »
Just to add a little to this. I realise that conventional advice is to leave it to rot for many months and this may ultimately be the better way. I adopted the spreading of fresh manure in autumn and winter months and then turning it into the ground in spring as this is largely what the local farmers do with slurry and it works well for them, and now for me

4th season allot

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2016, 19:00 »
The advantage of keeping it in a heap is some of the seed in the manure is germinated by the heat of decomposing , have toad stools and other fungi growing in my heap usually turn it and restack a couple of times so all gets heated.
Best if it's manure straw mix , lots of horse owners now using shavings this takes a lot longer to rot down and shavings will deplete the Nitrogen level in your soil as needed to decompose.
Doug

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2016, 20:00 »
The only seeds that germinate from our ponies' muck are buttercups and they're easily dealt with. I suppose the advantage that we have is that in summer when lots of things are seeding the ponies are left out all night so their seed-laden droppings just go to waste on the field

xx
How good is Pig Manure mixed with Horse Manure?

Started by MichelleC on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 05, 2011, 17:50
by MichelleC
xx
Green manure or horse manure?

Started by yorkiegal on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 10, 2012, 01:12
by Trillium
question
Horse manure

Started by brianc on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 03, 2014, 07:16
by alexroyall85
xx
How much horse manure

Started by Weston grower on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post September 19, 2011, 08:59
by Weston grower

Page created in 0.333 seconds with 40 queries.