Cat attack

• 6 Replies

danfinn1

• Experienced Member
Cat attack
« on: January 16, 2016, 18:20 »
Just settling down in our dining room to do some paperwork this afternoon and discussing with my wife how it is too cold in the conservatory this time of year and I can still see the hens from this room etc. Then there was a loud rosey from the garden and I stood up to see a white with black spots cat carrying off one of my birds. I ran to the conservatory, kicked on my wellies and legged it as fast as I could to the bottom off our garden, about 30 yards, there I saw the villain slinking off through the railings and one of my hens lying flat on the ground with her head and neck poking through the rails of the gate :(
I picked up her limp little body and an eye looked at me, so relieved, I carried her back to the conservatory and settled her on my lap for about 10 minutes, stroking her to reassure, cant talk so they just have to do with stroking. Eventually she got fed up with this treatment, stood up and jumped down to the floor. I let the other two in then, as they were still calling and rosey, then shut them in conservatory and went back into the warm dining room.

blooming cat, damages my birds tries to give me pneumonia :mad: I need to make the bottom of my garden cat proof!

That's two of my birds being attacked by a cat, Beryl first then Sandy today. Good job it was not the fox or I think the lot would be dead.

Perhaps that was a lesson to me that my hens should not free range in the bottom of the garden when I am not with them. The rest is well fenced so we get plenty of notice should intruders come in.  :)

Two eggs today, but that was before the attack!!
rip Sandy, rip Beryl, Henrietta

Know what would be nice in your garden, a few hens lol

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Cat attack
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2016, 09:23 »
I'm glad your hen was OK Dan  :)

Could the cat be feral?  Its unusual for a pet cat to take on something as large as a chicken.  Mine shout at any that pass through the garden, but they are generally just scooting through (both my neighbours have dogs so being yelled at by chickens is preferable to being chased and barked at).

If you have cats actively hunting your birds, you may have to restrict their free ranging when you are not with them, to keep them safe. 

danfinn1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2016, 19:37 »
Thinking about getting a dog again!! Extra pair of eyes, and ears, a lot sharper than mine. Will post on the non feathered pets

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2016, 20:40 »
Cats drive me mad - done everything to catproof but they still get in. :mad:
One grandma and 4 baby Pekins.

danfinn1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2016, 19:52 »
Saw that cat again today in good light, it comes down the canal bank. My birds alerted me to it, as they usually do when intruders come by, crowing very loudly. :)

It is the one in the earlier attack and wears a collar. I will ask the neighbours if they know who owns it, and find out what I can get done about it!! >:(

May mention it to the Cats Protection League, in the form of a complaint, bet a farmer would sort it out himself!!

Snoop

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2016, 10:52 »
We have three dogs, three cats and three chickens. The chickens free range some of the day and the cats and dogs give them a very wide berth, as one of the hens can get quite feisty with them. I'm amazed a cat would take on chickens.

What about getting a cockerel? He'd kick up an almighty racket and is likely to defend his harem.

danfinn1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2016, 14:44 »
As we live in the City suburbs a Cockerel would probably upset everyone, including me!! :lol:

I think I am set on a mangy mutt, someone's cast off to help!  All the other dogs we had were castaways and we did very well, few health problems and much pleasure in sharing our life with them  :)

xx
Mr Fox attack

Started by Maybelle on Chicken Chat

5 Replies
Last post June 23, 2012, 23:58
by isobel
sad
Our 2nd fox attack *sob*

Started by TeaPots on Chicken Chat

16 Replies
Last post June 25, 2010, 20:02
by NormandyMary
xx
Attack

Started by argylepete on Chicken Chat

9 Replies
Last post May 26, 2020, 10:57
by Ema
xx
Fox Attack!

Started by Chicken_Lover on Chicken Chat

0 Replies
Last post June 18, 2011, 11:25
by Chicken_Lover

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 40 queries.