Lights for growing leeks and onions

• 12 Replies

BryanCaine

Lights for growing leeks and onions
« on: November 15, 2015, 21:01 »
I want to purchase some lights to grow my potential champion onions and leeks, any advice welcome!

SusieB

• Experienced Member
Re: Lights for growing leeks and onions
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2015, 09:08 »
Would like to know more about grow lights myself.  My initial look on the internet lead me to:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/PlatinumLED-Grow-Lights/b/ref=bl_dp_s_web_5783368031?ie=UTF8&node=5783368031&field-lbr_brands_browse-bin=PlatinumLED+Grow+Lights

Not cheap, but I don't think the bulbs need replacing like older types of grow light. 

But I don't really know what I'm talking about.

SusieB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2015, 10:33 »
My link didn't work.  I searched Amazon for  'PlatinumLED Grow Lights'

Urbanite

• Experienced Member
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 14:50 by mumofstig »
. . . You could strike sparks anywhere. There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning. . . .

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2016, 10:20 »
I use a 300watt, 9 band LED lighting system (actually uses around 140watts of lecky) for my chillies, I experimented with a smaller 14 watt LED panel last year and had good success hence why the upgrade. I also purchased a small grow tent which has been a great buy.

The 14w panel was on around 18 hours a day and produced some decent small plants ready to move to the greenhouse, see piccys below...

Move on a year and this is a Cayenne pepper that was sown on Jan 14th this year, piccy taken last nght..

The 300w LED panel is nly on for 13 hours a day and the plants rest for the other 11 hours, similar to their natural habitat, if you look there is a lot of side shoots forming.
I am now a great fan of LED, it runs cool, has very specific wavelengths of light and is cheap to run.

I was toying with sowing some early spring onions but the speed at which the chillies are growing I will have no room!
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

AussieInFrance

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2016, 13:13 »
Hi

I'm amazed at the development of this cayenne pepper in just under 4 weeks. Have i misunderstood? I's be interested to know what area your LEDS are covering and the distance the lights sit above this plant.

I could have much to learn!
Grow lights for early germination;
Blow away on NE facing terrace for hardening off;
Small potager 90sq.m at 300metres
No-dig method, intensive planting and incorporating permaculture principles.

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2016, 13:24 »
This is one of my Orange Wonders, also 4 weeks-ish old. My kitchen is a fairly cold place so I think that's slowing them a bit, but they are still way more advanced than anything I've grown with only a windowsill. Lights are on a timer to give them 12 hours/day so they think it's a chilly June.

I have one of these: http://www.gardenessentials.co.uk/product/garland-grow-light-garden (cheaper here than on am*zon) Well worth it in my opinion.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 13:25 by surbie100 »

AussieInFrance

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2016, 13:56 »
Thanks Surbie, that was reassuring as mine are on a par with yours so i'm not feeling as inefficient as i was originally. I am, though, still astounded at the growth on the cayenne. Are these a more robust variety? That could explain the significant difference.

Even so, i've elevated my trays slightly so they're a little closer to the lights.

My lights are also on a timer to give them 14hrs access. Another factor i need to consider is that i have recently potted them on into a more enriched medium and so the transplant would have set them back a tad.

I'll still be interested in Aidy's response....
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 14:00 by AussieInFrance »

Aidy

• Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2016, 12:01 »
Aye up

The Techie bit...
Lamp as I mentioned is a 300w LED, the LED's are as follows...
EPIled's 3watts

Wavelengths (NM)
UV 380-400
Blue Light
430-440
450-460
Red Light
610-615
620-630
650-660
IR
and a white bulb!
The light is fixed approx 600 mm above the plants, when the light is on it produces a small amount of heat that keeps the temp around 70.
The plants are potted in the best quality compost and is fed once a week with Maxicrop growth stimulant.
So yes as you can see the Cayenne is storming away, that said as you can see the others are superhots and they generally are slower but are putting on a decent amount of leaves (these were sown a week earlier)

So here are a couple of photos.
This first one is the grow tent, you can see various chillies at various stages with the light just visible at the top..

This photo shows three different plants, left to right, Goronong (super hot), Yellow Fatalii (super hot) and the cayenne, this shows how different plants grow at different speeds, hence why super hots need that longer growing season

The light itself is really bright and as the day job is eyes I would not look inside the tent without sunnies on!
Anything else just ask.

AussieInFrance

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2016, 13:07 »
The difference is attributable to 3 factors, given this information.

1. You're applying 140watts per 2 sq ft while i have 480 for somewhere between 12-15 sq ft. (similar spectrum, althoug i don't use any yellow)

2. The grow tent provides very good reflection. I do have foil along the back but light spill from front and sides.

3. You're more knowledgable and experienced!

I didn't know that hotter chillis required longer growth periods. Now i do, thank you.

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2016, 13:19 »
I like the tin foil lining and sides - think I might give that a go with mine and see if it makes much of a difference.

Aidy

• Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2016, 14:39 »
I have been growing chillies for around four decades now, I used to put them in a mini greenhouse within the big greenhouse and use parafin heaters, but as the cost of parafin has increased somewhat then a different had to be used for the superhots, hence why I played with LED last year, similar to you using a box lined with foil which worked as you can see from the earlier photo which I think was about 8 weeks old, the new 300w panel is far superior in both light and wavelengths hence why the growth difference and I bought the grow tent as it was on offer and pulls apart and stores away ready for next year.
The only problem I had was at the start I was giving them too much light, I hadnt realized the power, now they just have the 13 hours and that as well seemed to of made a difference, the dark period is as important as the light, more research leading to photoperiodism, you learn something everyday!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 15:29 by Aidy »

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 39 queries.