evergreen clematis

• 8 Replies

andyf75

• Experienced Member
evergreen clematis
« on: October 07, 2015, 09:52 »
Hi all,

I've just put up a 6ft trellis panel at the back of a bed which I want to cover with an evergreen climber, preferably winter flowering. I'm thinking clematis cirrhosa, does anyone have any experience of this plant and whether it is fully hardy? or any other suggestions?

It seems to be rated as only frost hardy, but with many comments that in a sheltered position it should survive most British winters.

Thanks!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: evergreen clematis
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 13:57 »
Its not the hardiest of climbers, but if you have a sheltered spot with full sun, either south or west facing, it is a very lovely plant.

It flowers early spring, rather than winter, but Clematis armandii is tougher.   It is also a lot faster growing, so if you have a whole panel to fill, it will do the job fast.  The other really pretty evergreen to consider is Trachelospermum jasminoides.  This has jasmine scented flowers in mid summer and in winter, the cold turns the normally green leaves a reddish shade  :)

andyf75

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 14:09 »
I've been advised Armandii is far too big for a single trellis panel.

Had also thought of Trachelospermum jasminoides but it is also apparently not the hardiest.

My trellis faces roughly south-east and its fairly sheltered I think. Theres a passionflower near it which has survived some cold winters.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2015, 18:03 »
Trachelospermum is pretty hardy, so long as it is not in waterlogged ground over winter.  Tougher than a passion flower, so if that can survive, the trachelospermum should be fine.

Armandii can be a big plant, but will take being pruned.  If the trellis is south east facing and pretty sheltered, you should get away with the cirrhosa, but it will take a while to cover a whole panel  :)

jaydig

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2015, 20:12 »
I've had my trachelospermums for years, and the only winter that they suffered was when we had -10 and -15 temperatures for a while. Even then, although it knocked them back almost to ground level, I pruned the dead out in the spring and they soon recovered. The flowers have a glorious scent and start in June, continuing until the frost stops them.  Our soil at home is light and free draining, so I'm sure that this helps.

andyf75

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2015, 10:29 »
hmm still torn on this. If the cirrhosa is going to take a while to cover the trellis and is less hardy then I'm leaning back towards the armandii or the trachlospernum..our soil isn't that free draining although I can dig in a load of grit when I plant it.

Mrs Bee

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2015, 18:50 »
I have pulled out my Armandii as they can be thugs and get a disease that turns the leaves brown, which looks  horrible.

I have several Cartmanii Avelanche which is a romper, with pretty crinkly evergreen leaves and is covered in white flowers in the Spring I have some in North and West positions and they are seem hardy and are romping away.

Another one I have that is evergreen and scented but needs full sun is Pixie. Flowers in the Spring.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2015, 10:12 »
We have a cirrosa clematis that is years old, and although it was a bit slow to get going it has covered a large trellis and gets cut back regularly after flowering. The roots are very sheltered and in the shade.

I hope that helps a bit
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

andyf75

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2015, 10:27 »
Thanks all,

Think I'll try a cirrhosa. I'm concerned an armandii would just end up looking messy with lots of dead growth.

xx
Evergreen Hedge

Started by lifeflower on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post March 03, 2015, 15:33
by Oddpod
xx
Evergreen windbreak ideas??

Started by Totty on General Gardening

13 Replies
Last post December 17, 2010, 18:15
by JayG
xx
flowering evergreen hedging

Started by ally on General Gardening

14 Replies
Last post April 28, 2015, 13:39
by ally
xx
evergreen shrubs and climbers

Started by trogg on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post April 17, 2014, 09:57
by Lardman

Page created in 0.163 seconds with 39 queries.