Planting autumn brassicas

• 2 Replies

Charityuk

Planting autumn brassicas
« on: August 29, 2015, 18:25 »
Hello,

I will be planting out cavolo nero, red russian kale, borecole and spring green cabbages in September. This will be my second attempt at winter crops. I did them in my first year at the allotment, 4 years ago, just bunging them into the beds we had just made, and things didn't go very well, unsurprisingly.  So how do I do it right this time?  I have clay soil, and the beds that they will go in had potatoes and garlic this year.  I should add lime? I would need to buy some. How much? Anything else?  I need to protect them somehow? I do have some fleece but I'm not really that sure how to use it.  I put netting over them last time but they grew though it, plus I managed to stab my arm on a cane used to hold it up and ended up at A and E for a tetanus shot! 

Sorry if these are stupid questions. I have learned a lot but I'm still a beginner as I have very little time for it, and my practical building-stuff skills are absolutely minimal (with a lovely scar to prove it).  I have learned to put bottles on canes, at least!   

Oh and for my other beds, what shall I do? Last year I chucked fresh-ish horse manure on top in October, but in March I just had to rake off all the unrotted straw. Is that supposed to happen? I've had more manure in a compost bin for a year or so and it is still full of straw.

Potty Plotty Lotty

• https://thelazyallotmenteer.wordpress.com/
Re: Planting autumn brassicas
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 07:50 »
I mix manure into the soil and then firm the soil eg: my jumping up and down on it is you've got the energy- brassicas like firm soil. Then dust the planting hole with a handful of lime, firm in well then I sprinkle chicken manure pellets around the base.

Some people will object to this approach saying that the nitrogen will get released by the lime (ie you shouldn't manure and lime at the same time) but I tend to have no option and still grow reasonable brassicas!

If you have any pigeons around you will definitely need to cover your crop. For netting options look at this recent discussion-some options just require a small junior hacksaw.

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=121093.0

Or some people on my site have success with lots of bottles on tall canes to support the netting then weighing it down with stones/bottles filled with water.

Charityuk

Re: Planting autumn brassicas
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2015, 18:34 »
Thanks. We don't have a bird problem, due to the fox problem! I have a lot of chicken manure as I keep hens at home, but I can't use it anywhere that I don't want dug into. I tried dried blood in my first year, which was a big mistake.

xx
Winter and autumn Brassicas

Started by Cockney carrot cruncher on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 22, 2014, 09:10
by Nobbie
xx
Autumn/winter brassicas

Started by alanb on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 01, 2009, 12:34
by alanb
xx
Thinking ahead to autumn digging for next year's brassicas

Started by Snoop on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post September 27, 2014, 11:29
by sunshineband
xx
Planting out brassicas

Started by Elaine G on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 29, 2018, 15:50
by rowlandwells

Page created in 0.314 seconds with 39 queries.