White strawberry or pineberry?

• 7 Replies

erikaz1

White strawberry or pineberry?
« on: July 05, 2015, 13:36 »
Are white strawberries and pineberries the same thing? I 'found' these in the garden today. I've been giving them the odd suspicious glance for a good few weeks now because they didn't seem quite right. I've only ever grown regular red or alpine strawberries at my old house so for these to appear was a bit of a surprise. Thankfully I'd not worked out they were ripe until now and there are a fair few on the plant. I'm rather pleased :)
20150705_132030_resized_1.jpg
20150705_132048_resized_1.jpg

allotmentann

Re: White strawberry or pineberry?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2015, 13:23 »
I am not sure. I seem to hear the same plant (or at least it looks like it to me) called both. I do know that l like white strawberries much better than red ones. I had a whole bed planted up with them on my old plot. Really loved them. But they are best as they turn slightly pink. :)

BabbyAnn

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2015, 13:51 »
Pineberry is a white strawberry with red seeds which your picture shows.  There are about half a dozen different types of white strawberries so would be difficult to tell from looking alone, but Pineberry should actually have a hint of pineapple flavouring ... time to taste them I think.

allotmentann

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2015, 19:13 »
Yes, they definitely have a hint of pineapple. Absolutely gorgeous. I always wonder when l try an unusual variety of something. There is usually a lot of hype and they disappoint. But if l could only grow the white or the red l would choose white for sure. :)

erikaz1

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2015, 22:35 »
Thank you all for your comments. I tasted one yesterday and it really was lovely, I don't remember a taste of pineapple but to be honest I wasn't looking for one. I was going to leave the rest to see if I could get a decent quantity for pudding later in the week but might be tempted to have another nibble tomorrow. I'll wait and see if some go a bit pink too :)

Thankfully I'm not in a position where I have to choose what I can grow. Admittedly the garden is a bit of a mess right now (it is improving though) but there is certainly plenty of space to get an awful lot of food grown. Today I went to the dreaded Homebase and came out with a bunch of Toscana strawberries with plenty of runners on them. Time to get them stuck in some compost and ready for a proper strawberry patch I think!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2015, 07:35 »
Toscana are ever bearers, so you will get a steady supply of fruit, rather than one big harvest.  They are also  great for growing in pots as they trail loads of runners over the edges.

If you get them going now, you have plenty of plants for when you are ready to start your garden.  They are also very decorative as they have pink flowers, rather than the normal white  :)

erikaz1

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2015, 12:00 »
When it comes to runners, do I need to keep them attached to the plant while they establish roots in their new pots or should I chop them off and plant them? I've never done this before so forgive me if I'm sounding a bit thick!

allotmentann

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2015, 12:33 »
I have done it both ways! I am sure there is an 'official' way but they have always established well for me either way.  :)

xx
pineberry new strawberry

Started by strawberryshortcake on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 03, 2012, 13:15
by jay001
xx
White strawberry problem

Started by Lawrence on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 28, 2012, 19:59
by Kleftiwallah
xx
White grubs eaten into strawberry plants

Started by hubballi on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 19, 2013, 23:50
by viettaclark
xx
Strawberry plants - white stuff on crowns

Started by muddywellies on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 04, 2008, 07:22
by muddywellies

Page created in 0.313 seconds with 39 queries.