No show parsnips.

• 16 Replies

Dave NE

• Experienced Member
No show parsnips.
« on: July 01, 2015, 12:14 »
I have tried twice to chit parsnip seeds without success and threw them in the bin as a bad lot, but then I remembered having a packet of Scorzonera (free with Mr J Harrisons book), has anyone grown this veg, cheers Dave
Today i will be mainly wearing no trousers

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
Re: No show parsnips.
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2015, 12:22 »
Not scorzonera, but I have grown salsify, which is gorgeous & its cousin, but much thinner than parsnips. Slugs like the new leaves too.

I have no parsnips either.  :(

cadalot

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 13:39 »
OK I usually have problems and I had tried 3 times this year then a fellow potholder gave me some of her seeds from some parsnips she leaf in to bolt for more seeds and the photo below is what I have now (Subject to slug attack)

I shall be leaving a couple of parsnips to bolt and get my own seed for next year.
2015-07-01 Bed 09 Parsnips.jpg

Chrysalis

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2015, 13:54 »
None here either after three attempts  :(

Just one sown in a pot came through and it looks very lonely!  It was fresh seed this year, too  :mad:

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2015, 14:36 »
My 2nd attempt are coming up.  Seeds that Snowdrops sent me after mine failed.  Still only around 50% though.

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2015, 14:52 »
I left some parsnips in to bolt, which produced seed last year. I saved some, and a lot fell on the ground. They are coming up all over the place and look like producing good roots.

Headgardener22

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2015, 15:51 »
I sowed two rows of parsnip at exactly the same time side by side. One row had 100% (ish) germination and the other had 0%, what is it about parsnips that make them so awkward.

Thrutchington

• Experienced Member
  • Now then!
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2015, 16:30 »
I have had mixed success with parsnips this year, in a bed on allotment filled with brand new soil, they went off brilliant, in my tired out back garden bed the parsnips have required 2 sowings to get a result. Carrots have also been inconsistent in back garden bed, best results gained by sowing into a 1" deep layer of potting compost on top of the soil. In the new allotment bed they have done great. Certainly a lesson learnt I'm soil nutrition levels!

maddave

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2015, 16:39 »
I've never grown parsnips before, but sowed some in my pallet trough/raised planter, filled with shop bought compost. Everyone of the seeds sown has germinated and I currently have about a foot of leaf growth.  I had a furtle and have nice straight roots forming! I sowed at the end of April I think and the variety was Pearl.

crh75

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2015, 16:43 »
Not sure why that would happen HG22.  However, I think a lot of time the problem with poor germination of parsnips is that they are sown too early.  Best to wait until the ground has started to warm up.  This might explain why people second attempts have worked where the first attempt failed rather than a change in variety. 

This year I sowed on the 19th April and had very good germination.  In fact I have never had poor germination rates with parsnips since I stopped trying to get them started off in February like the packs say you can!

Also seedlings need to be kept moist until the roots are established and can get water from deeper down, the top few inched can dry out very easily and this is bad news for tiny seedlings.

I guess the third thing is to create a nice seed bed for them to get started in.  As Thrutchingtom mentions a drill filled with multipurpose compost works very well but does have a tendency to dry out quickly.

cadalot

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2015, 16:45 »
I must admit that created a farrow and lined it with sieved compost then sowed the seeds and covered them with more sieved compost. If you look closely at the photo you will see that the first two lines are a little spars where as I did over sow the other lines, in a Sh1t or bust approach having had 3 failures already this year including chitting them.

I'm thinking they can push each other apart and I will thin when they are a little bigger. I've never managed to get as many as this germinate in the last 3 years I have been trying
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 06:16 by cadalot »

Dave NE

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2015, 17:25 »
Mine were fresh seed this year and even with ideal conditions, eg, soft damp paper towel in an unheated but warm green house, not one showed, temprimental or what, Dave

juvenal

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2015, 18:12 »
I had 80% success with Dave NE method. Small Tupperware-type box with lid, damp paper towel.

When root 'tail' was a half inch long, carefully laid each seed into a soil drill on the point of a knife. 8" apart.

Anton

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2015, 23:55 »
I always grow mine in paper pots. From the pots I put out about two months ago only about six plants survived (too cold!). I started again and  plugged the spaces with new pots. This time only about two pots failed. The plants are still quite small but growing.
Anton

miggs

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2015, 09:54 »
At least I am not the only on. I have tried and tried for months now and have 0% success. Given up now, just sow other veg that will grow.

xx
can anybody show me what parsnips look like

Started by bigsprouts on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 27, 2007, 19:14
by flowerlady
xx
show results 1st time in this show

Started by philskin on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post September 06, 2009, 14:56
by Noah'strolly
xx
Parsnips. Whats the rot inside my parsnips? Photo attached

Started by swaine on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 31, 2010, 21:32
by philsmith1967
xx
I'll show my mine if you show me yours!

Started by Jimmy Splash on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 15, 2010, 19:00
by Irene

Page created in 0.328 seconds with 38 queries.