Interesting weekend

• 1 Replies

danfinn1

• Experienced Member
Interesting weekend
« on: June 28, 2015, 17:34 »
Well today my 3 had me at it  :mad:

No eggs this morning, none by midday, then there seemed to be a scrabble to get in the nesting box. Beryl was sitting and making her "do not disturb noises" and the other two were harrasing her. So I shooed Sandy and Hen out of the run and shut Beryl in. The reaction of Hen and Beryl was amazing they were attacking the coop and run where Beryl was sat, just like you see vultures on TV. After a few minutes I tired of this behaviour and consigned Sandy to the dog cage. What a good investment that has been :)

With sandy out of the way Hen became her usual amiable self and all was peacefull until Beryl announced to the world her had egg :lol:

I then let her out and Hen went in a bit later, as usual, and produced, but without the foghorn :) :)

Both shells were good, as both hens were now out and eggs safe I released Sandy soft shell, who walked down the garden then straight into the coop for a look see. So I know who the egg eater is now. Yesterday lunch time I had found dried egg yolk in the nest box and a pale broken shell in the run when putting them to bed. :(

When Sandy had laid a shelless the other evening I was too slow to get it up before the other two Beryl and Hen had started eating it. Is it true a hen will not eat her own egg, as this seems the case here? :unsure:

I think the future for Sandy the sinner is quarantine till the others have laid and I am busy. She will get to know that dog cage very well :)

Up until couple of weeks ago these birds were giving me 3 eggs every morning day, so reliable. :)

rip Sandy, rip Beryl, Henrietta

Know what would be nice in your garden, a few hens lol

grinling

Re: Interesting weekend
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2015, 13:17 »
hens clear up non viable eggs by eating them, which should not be mistaken for a hen who eats anybody's egg.(toy egg helps here).

xx
Making the Run more interesting?

Started by Silkysmooth on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 29, 2010, 14:01
by NooNoosdad
xx
Interesting Problem!

Started by Fisherman on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post September 02, 2010, 21:43
by joyfull
xx
How to make a run more interesting?

Started by ness on The Hen House

22 Replies
Last post October 31, 2007, 20:25
by ness
xx
Interesting Article on Incubating

Started by kegs on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post February 21, 2012, 19:30
by Tony H

Page created in 0.204 seconds with 38 queries.