soft egg laid anywhere

• 15 Replies

treecol

soft egg laid anywhere
« on: June 24, 2015, 07:51 »
We have four out of seven hens laying now. Yesterday was the 1st egg for number 4. She laid the egg ontop of the nest box under the perches. It was a small but good egg. This morning under the other perches was what looked like a small soft egg all squished & a whole soft egg beside it. Fortunately no one had pecked them.
Should I just wait & see how things go before I try to work out which hen it is? I'm not too worried about where she lays as it is in shavings but it'd be less likely to be pecked & start a trend if she layed in the box with the other girls. There are five nests so plenty of room! I'm also presuming soft egg this early can happen? The other eggs are really hard shells.

8doubles

Re: soft egg laid anywhere
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2015, 10:07 »
If one of the hens is prone to laying softies keep a close eye on her. Hens really do have a problem squeezing softies out compared to perfect eggs.

I have found that hens eating softies does not mean they will start to eat hard shelled eggs too but as you say the cleaner the coop is kept the better.
Hens eating softies is natures way of recycling protein !

A softie bursting inside a hen can be very bad news and needs to be dealt with ASAP !

Sassy

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2015, 18:25 »
Agree with 8doubles. Also if your hens are just coming into lay, and it sounds as though they may be, it is possible to get a few 'odd' eggs as they can make a few mistakes to start with.  :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

treecol

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2015, 22:05 »
I had a good look at things as I cleared up in the hen house. There was one tiny deflated soft shell egg under the whole one. I could pick the 2nd one up - the contents were perfect white & yolk. I'm guessing the larger egg may have pushed out a squished one (fortunately) infront of it. Hopefully tomorrow she'll get it right. They were out in the garden with us today which meant bits of grit & old snail shells got eaten, which will help their shells too. They also raided the strawberrys before I noticed. I will make sure they spend more time with us out of the run in the afternoons as their diet is much more varied then. I always put their pellet feeder out with them & they gather round it every half hour or so, I'm glad they have the sense to get plenty of their pellets.

danfinn1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2015, 22:57 »
One of mine has started laying soft shells and no shell eggs. This afternoon she went very quiet, looked very sad then did a few watery poos,  then laid a no shell egg on the patio. Her back was to me so I saw the whole thing happen. It looked like something was dangling from her vent so I grabbed her and took a look. It was a prolapse but went back in. My birds are about 18 months now so I am concerned that I need to keep a close watch on Sandy (soft shell) and see if I can get some extra calcium into her. :unsure:

I shut the other two greed guts out the conservatory today whilst I fed her some probiotic yoghurt. When the other two saw what was happening they were banging on the window to get in. :D Tomorrow I will get some poultry spice and give her a lot of tlc. She does not like being handled too much but she will have to put up with it till I get her back to normal.   ;)

rip Sandy, rip Beryl, Henrietta

Know what would be nice in your garden, a few hens lol

Sassy

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2015, 09:18 »
To support calcium intake feed oyster shell. Grit is for aiding digestion.  :)

treecol

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2015, 18:16 »
Today she laid an egg with a rough bobbly shell - but at least it's a shell. I'm glad she managed it, hopefully she'll be ok now. We also had egg number 5 today from the youngest hen, a lovely small smooth egg.

Sassy

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2015, 08:14 »
Great, sounds like she's getting there  :)

treecol

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2015, 19:16 »
Well I thought so, Sassy, but again this morning she'd laid another one with a soft shell under the perches. How long do I give her before I think about getting more calcium into her? Then what form do you suggest for her?

Sassy

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2015, 09:59 »
You could try limestone flour which will be available where horse feed is sold. Sometimes it is more complicated than provision of calcium and something else is wrong. If your other chooks are not having aproblem ....... .   :)

treecol

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2015, 22:04 »
Hmmm .... today she laid another pale rough shelled egg. She laid it on the floor near the pop hole. Fortunately none of the girls are interested in pecking eggs, so I was able to pick it up. I cracked open the last rough one & it seemed to me that the white contained alot of what seems to be water - don't know if that indicates what could be wrong?
I gave them ground up baked egg shells today ontop of their pellets, so I know today they've had plenty of calcium. Let's see what tomorrow brings.

treecol

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2015, 19:53 »
2 eggs with soft shells today on the floor alongside eachother. She didn't lay yesterday so I guess both must have been hers as all theother girls use the nests.
I have been baking & grinding up their shells, sprinkling this on their feed inside their summer house. As they spend 2 hours in there before I let them out I figure she'll get some of that. The shells were a little thicker although still soft enough to split. If I feed limestoneflour, will the other girls bd getting too much calcium?

treecol

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2015, 19:02 »
Today I'd just let them out & I walked back to the run to throw ovr some nettles & 1 hen was pecking an egg on the floor of the run. Another hen was trying to get in on it too, so I have no idea who laid it. When I got it off them, it was not too bad, thin but better then before. I filled it with mustard & tabasco (only a drop) put it back in & they all decided egg pecking was not for them!!!
So I'll get up early tomorrow & have my morning tea watching them. When I know who the culprit is, I'll give her some yoghurt & limestone flour each day as I think she will be ok in the end.
7 eggs today including that 1 from 7 girls. Hooray!

8doubles

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2015, 07:34 »
Mustard and tabasco ? They will love that !

Are you going to give them some nan bread and cold lager ?  :lol:

Been there !  ;)

Sassy

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2015, 08:21 »
Mustard and tabasco ? They will love that !

Are you going to give them some nan bread and cold lager ?  :lol:

Been there !  ;)

:lol:

xx
Two soft shelled eggs laid together, help!

Started by ANHBUC on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post March 18, 2011, 09:29
by ANHBUC
xx
yolk laid out of a very soft shelled perfectly shaped egg

Started by sapper on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 31, 2012, 09:57
by ANHBUC
xx
hen thats never laid

Started by skelly on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post October 26, 2010, 11:09
by richard2510
xx
Was there ever a hen who just never laid?

Started by Elcie on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post July 06, 2009, 04:51
by Vi

Page created in 0.23 seconds with 36 queries.