Tomato Grafting - My Project

• 18 Replies

wil4025

• Experienced Member
    • Williams Allotment & Garden Blog
Tomato Grafting - My Project
« on: May 24, 2015, 11:34 »
Grafting stage 1,

I sowed enough seeds for mistakes. I done nearly whole packet to make sure. Seed used san marzano 2 and for rootstock im using estamino from kings seeds. I used jack magic compost in module trays, propagator get to 23 degrees. Two seeds in each module. I did sow both rootstock and the grafted tops same time, next time I will sow rootstock two to three weeks before as grows slowly.

Grafting Stage 2:

First off I chose 6 of each and put them in trays, as they have all grown at different heights and thickness then I have matched each pair up. Making sure putting the rootstock label in the right tray. Next you can see a scalpel in a pot, this was filled with 100 degree boiling water and left in pot till I needed. I also used clean chopping board and washing my hands. You also can see how much better the rootstock over normal roots and both grown at same rate. So good crop might follow.

It took four attempts to get right angle of graft. I also cut seed leaves and first leaves off, so less stress on the plant. As you can see graft went fine and clip attached. I got the clips from kings seeds, but found these not that good at holding, so I saw on ebay, ones that hold graft all the way around.

One day later and you can see graft might take and all looking healthy, I also shut vents off the propagator and kept heat on and watered very wet, as ive been told to keep high humidity up.

Im going to do a side by side experiment to see if normal plant and grafted plant is going to do. I will keep you updated. Other plants are still in propagator to get more growth on them.

I must emit that it is great fun to learn something not the average person can't do and will save a lot of money as grafted plants cost on average £4-5 each.

Also just noticed the images this one before (see below). The leaves have come out, so graft must be working.

We have a successful graft, I must admit that I could have had a better cut so both matched all way round, but you can't get them perfect as both stems grow at different rates. Other plant to this, didn't take and roots were coming out of each stem, so ive recut this and added clip to see if it takes. Ive also tried a different graft to see if it is better than this,means splitting down the rootstock with knife and inserting V shape and putting clip to hold together. First results seeing the top growth droop may mean not that great, but time will tell. Also added shading to the propagator away from sunlight as ive heard better this way.

Upclose of the graft, im going to work on a easier way to cut both stems

Another sucessful different type of graft, a couple failed.

I'm finding a big degree cut is better than the 45 degree I've been doing. But need better clips that are taller and wrap around graft.

Little update, side by side comparison. Finding rootstock on left has a lot less leaf, but as you might not know the rootstock has a lot more roots coming out of the bottom. I will try and take photo of roots later.

Two left ones are the non grafted and two rights ones are the grafted ones. I think the grafted ones have had setback due to having to graft together. Will be putting these in final pots in quadgrow next week.

Planted in my quad grow system also using new string system I found, Im going to use growmore and seaweed extract everytime I fill up quadgrow. Going from Left in none grafted, grafted, none grafted, grafted. I done this because the none grafted have more leaf and want to keep airflow to stop blight, that not really had an issue before and give them a good comparison.

String system, good thing about it, is that you can chop off and start again, think its for commercial growers, but works good for home greenhouse. I used upright I bought from greenhouse supplier and added long crop heads, drilled through and attached to roof, giving a good fixing.

Two grafts up close.

Im finding that shoots are coming out of the rootstock area of the graft, but I just keep pulling these off as I see them. If you leave these then you will find that new shoots that will grow and will be no good and will take a lot out of your top grafted tomato plant.

Im finding a difference in leaf colour too, grafted ones are lighter than the none grafted. All are sitting in a quad grow so none have lost water or feed. Also to report a lot less leaf vigour for the none grafted tomatoes. Going from left is none grafted, grafted, none grafted, grafted.

None grafted first truss

Grafted plants show a lot more fruit and a lot more growth.

Im finding that shoots are coming out of the rootstock area of the graft, but I just keep pulling these off as I see them. If you leave these then you will find that new shoots that will grow and will be no good and will take a lot out of your top grafted tomato plant.

First truss of grafted showing 10 fruits, amazing compared to next none grafted with 4 fruits. See next photo.

None grafted with 4 fruits.

Next on the list:
Take photos of more stages
Weight of fruit from each plant
Take pictures and see what root growth is like
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 19:22 by wil4025 »
Kind Regards
Bill

Headgardener22

Re: Tomato Grafting - My Project
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2015, 19:23 »
looking good. What rootstock and what scion have you used?

I tried last year but the only graft I got to take was when the scion and rootstock were the same (which was just to show that I could do it).

wil4025

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2015, 19:29 »
For scion im using san marzano 2 and for rootstock im using estamino. Our family loves tomato sauce for pasta and pizza :)

Im due to add both grafted and none grafted pot them up in quadgrow once I clear out greenhouse. Im going to put them side by side.

adri123

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2015, 21:51 »
Very interested in finding out how this goes.  Please keep updating the thread with how the side by side comparison is going.

Adri

wil4025

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2015, 21:58 »
Updated thread :)

adri123

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2015, 09:05 »
Thanks!!!!

:mellow:

CDave

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2015, 09:32 »
Great thread - thanks for taking the time up upload it all and share.

wil4025

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2015, 13:38 »
Great thread - thanks for taking the time up upload it all and share.

No problems, I love doing new things and want others to follow. A few people of facebook groups have followed me too. If it goes well then I shall be trying all different grafting. I did try one cucumber but failed, but cucumbers can die really easy if they dont like things.

wil4025

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2015, 11:26 »
Updated with new info and more pics.

Norfolkgrey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2015, 12:08 »
TY for all the updates. I love this thread. Am hoping to have a bash next year  :)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 15:48 by Norfolkgrey »

wil4025

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2015, 12:56 »
TY for all the updates. I love the updates. Am hoping to have a bash next year  :)

No worries, Im pleased you like my project, I will prob have a few more updates in next few weeks. First time ive been doing this so still learning. I have to say first results are looking like I will be grafting the whole lot next year on the point of flower growth and less leaf. As they hit the top  I will measure the bottom steam size on each plant to see what the results are of that, might be interesting.

caroline800

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2015, 22:36 »
great thread

just wondered are the ones in the pictures that are non-grafted the scion san marzano or the rootstock estamino?

:blush:

wil4025

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2015, 10:52 »
great thread

just wondered are the ones in the pictures that are non-grafted the scion san marzano or the rootstock estamino?

:blush:

Thanks, for the experiment I done none grafted (San Maz) and grafted (San Maz and estamino) so I can see what is best. I know what im leading towards. I will also use other rootstocks next year and see if any better, but estamino is doing well.

Norfolkgrey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2015, 11:53 »
From having a read it seems most rootstock types are not edible if grown on as a plant  ;)

wil4025

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2015, 12:18 »
From having a read it seems most rootstock types are not edible if grown on as a plant  ;)

This is not true, as all tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, chilli plants and many more plants and trees are all grafted onto rootstock commercially and have been for many years if not thousands of years going back to Japan. The rootstock generally is just same plant but has really dodo fruit production but great roots and as we all know this is the driving force of any plant. It also helps vigour and stronger the plant the better disease resistance. Suttons website last year sold grafted plants and selling them in B&Q.

View this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomato_grafting
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 12:20 by wil4025 »

xx
Grafting your own?

Started by adri123 on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

6 Replies
Last post January 07, 2014, 17:59
by pigguns
xx
Grafting tomatoes and peppers

Started by Greg 2 on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

0 Replies
Last post January 22, 2018, 12:37
by Greg 2
xx
tomato

Started by m1ckz on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

6 Replies
Last post August 09, 2015, 10:33
by Goosegirl
xx
Tomato spacing

Started by Urbanite on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

7 Replies
Last post January 16, 2023, 22:46
by Odders

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 39 queries.