Anybody free range?

• 38 Replies

Beekissed

Anybody free range?
« on: May 04, 2015, 01:49 »
I've been reading here for some time and get the impression that few free range due to lack of space but was wondering if anyone at all here are using this method of raising chickens? 

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
Re: Anybody free range?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 05:01 »
Our chickens are lucky to have lots of space....much to the horror of our Bulgarian neighbours who keep their's in small concrete pens. But they admire the way our's look, their's are often ragged and bald from fighting. In winter they have the run of the veggie plot too so about a third of an acre. But land is cheap here

Beekissed

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 05:13 »
Yay!!!  Another free ranger!   :D

grinling

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, 12:11 »
My house is in a covered run area where the food and water and a sandpit for dustbathing is. There is a hatch in the front door, which is open 24/7, unless I need them contained. Interesting thing is that they do not poo in the enclosure unless kept in. They have the run of the back garden.
I have no foxes near me and they have plenty of bushes to hide under.
It does mean poo picking the grass though!!

Beekissed

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2015, 22:13 »
My dogs used to do that for me until I started feeding fermented feed, then they were no longer attracted to the poo.  The poo from fermented feed has no smell and it just dissolves in the rain, so I don't mind it on the grass...free fertilizer! 

Right now feed consumption has went down to almost nothing as they are finding so much out on range to eat.  I love this time of year and it's the payoff for having a free ranging system in place, that free feed.  Not to mention better health and socialization, more nutritious and better tasting eggs and meat, and they get to live a more natural life.  I like that part.   :)

Beekissed

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2015, 23:08 »
Pics of the birds out free ranging in the tall grass.  Mower is down for repairs right now, so they are having a field day in the unruly grass...plenty of seeds and bugs to be had.  This area is about 2 acres away from their coop.

Every time I see them out there searching for food it thrills me that they get to be a chicken out on the grass, just doing what chickens do.  Occupied, exercising, and gleaning nutritious food.  They are so quiet and calm that it fills me with peace just watching them.  It never gets old to me, no matter how many years we do this...it just never gets old. 

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2015, 23:13 »
What lucky chickens Beekissed!   All that space!

Beekissed

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2015, 00:19 »
It definitely is a blessing from God, to be sure.  The last place I lived I only had an acre and no woodlands around me, so forage was okay but not as good as they have here. 

It's a wondrous thing to see them out there as they are right at this moment, grazing peacefully in the meadow with birdsong all around.  If I were a chicken, this is how I'd like my life to go.   :)

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2015, 03:30 »
Lucky, lucky chickens.

Beekissed

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2015, 04:25 »
Some years back I started researching a way to improve the meadow pasture so that the chickens were getting more protein out of their forage.  I started frost seeding white dutch clover in certain areas of the meadow and also planting the clover over garden rows after the harvest to cover the ground and also give them fresh clover in the fall.  The clover can have up to 22% digestible protein, depending on the time of year and time of day, even. 

Another thing I did was to leave all the fallen leaves around their coop alone and go farther afield when raking leaves up to store for their deep litter in the winter.  These leaves provide hiding and growing places for bugs, worms, and grubs they can easily find, even late in the fall. 

I also took old hay bales and old loose hay and left them at the edge of the meadow/forest up by their coop so I could move them now and again....under these would be scads of earthworms, bugs, etc.

My mother is old school and likes to keep the lawn mowed very short all the time, but I encouraged her to let her grass go to seed more often in certain areas so that the birds could glean the seeds and also so that the grass could reseed itself to greater thickness and health.  Now she will do this, especially in the early spring and also again in the fall...the pics you see above are showing the birds eating not only the bugs but mostly the grass seeds.   

Planting and creating more foraging opportunities can improve even a small area of free range.  This can also be done in a small way in a coop and run situation using deep litter, grow frames, bales of hay, old stumps, and even cardboard on the ground. 

Here are some pics of the chickens grazing the white dutch clover...

These next few pics are of my broiler chickens out on range...

barley

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2015, 08:11 »
awww BK how lovely to see free birds

we free range too but do have a 40ft run if were not here as we have trouble with buzzards  :(

I've taught my dog to chase anything that fly's into the garden - she even barks at hand gliders and hot air balloons if they come over  :D

heres some of my girls - out and about

trying to pinch the dogs bones  :nowink:

Willow_Warren

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2015, 08:48 »
Some lovely pictures of some lucky free ranging chickens.

Mine do free range but my garden is no where near as large!

Hannah :)

Mrs Bee

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2015, 10:20 »
We used to let ours free range during the day when we were in but there are soooooo many foxes here that we just can't let them do it any more. It really upsets me that we can't do it any more but they do have a large pen.

Beekissed

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2015, 15:24 »
Barley, those are beautiful pics of a beautiful place!!  All your animals look so content and at peace there...it's lovely to see.  The forage looks really rich there as well. 

Lastcast

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2015, 21:25 »
Great to see Beekissed & Barleys hens free ranging, would love to have a garden/land large enough to do the same. I keep my 12 hens on my two adjoining allotments, their coup/run is 36' x 12' + an occasional grass 12 x12' pen I open up for them. Also leave another area 24' x 12' each year fallow, for them to scratch around in. I have a selection of panels I can move around to fit the area that is not cultivated. All in all for allotment hens I think they're spolit and almost freerange !!

xx
Chicks that Free Range

Started by Prod on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post October 07, 2013, 20:28
by woodburner
xx
Free Range - new hens

Started by mrssue on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post June 25, 2007, 11:17
by mrssue
xx
When is it safe to free range?

Started by janeheritage on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 13, 2009, 15:48
by janeheritage
xx
Free Range Hybrids

Started by Fisherman on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post March 02, 2011, 08:05
by Sassy

Page created in 0.206 seconds with 53 queries.