hedging

• 9 Replies

Ema

hedging
« on: April 25, 2015, 09:57 »
last year or the year before I posted about needing a fast growing hedge/barrier to keep the general public off one side of my plot where there is a path as my allotment site it open to the public.

2 years running I have grown fartachokes, about 20 plants of them. They have provided a lovely hedge thick, quick growing barrier, the plants dont mind being cut to 4 foot and the stems thinned out.
The disadvantages are I really cant eat this many or give them away! currently I've still got 6 plants in the ground and am feeding someones pigs with them.
Any plants grown near them dont seem to do too well, maybe its because they suck all the water up and shade a little. This means the ends of my rows dont get a good crop.

This year I want to try something new.
Rasberries would be great but I dont have enough plants, the plants are expensive, take a while to establish/become a thick barrier and the fruit would get picked.
I have really run out of ideas for fast growing tall veggies, any bright ideas?
If not I may have to resort to flowers....was thinking cosmos

Lardman

Re: hedging
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2015, 10:07 »
You'll be finding fartachokes in that bed for a while   :nowink: Could you put up a post / wire system with the excuse of training fruit ? That would keep people off your plot and give the fruit canes time to establish.  As I said in a previous thread I also think asparagus ferns make an attractive screen.

Norfolkgrey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2015, 10:12 »
I agree with Lardman or if you put up postS and wire and grow peas, beans and squashes.  :)

Ema

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2015, 10:39 »
Anything like raspberries, peas and beans will get eaten
I don't really want to invest in fencing as I will probably move plots this winter

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2015, 11:04 »
It would be easy to step over a row of cosmos, they're quite an airy plant.
I'd put up a row of canes, with a few beans/ tall peas/sweet peas to grow up them - Does it matter if the beans/peas get eaten - if it keeps people off your plot? After all you're giving away the artichokes at the moment?

Any that you do get to eat from your side will be a bonus ;)

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2015, 12:25 »
If you grow runner beans it isn't as if people will eat them raw so they would have to be 'dedicated' to pick a fair few and take them home to cook them - not many people would do that...

3759allen

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2015, 07:45 »
if your planning to move plots at the end of the year could you put raspberries in pots and sink them into the ground.

at least you will have healthier more established plants to take to your next plot

Ema

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2015, 11:54 »
Thank everyone I've found some phalecia seeds in my seed box and wondered what these would be like as a hedge/boarder. They are good for ground coverage, grow to 90cm but I wonder if they are quite thin at the top. Has anyone grown them?
The few rasberries I have in pots will be going into a little bed I've prepared. The visitors would happily eat any rasberries for me. The edge I'm trying to block them from wandering onto my plot/talking to me constantly is 15m so I would need a lot of rasberries to have any effect this year, and might not have the space for them when I move.
My bean frames are already up and the soil prepared. I'm also only growing a few tall beans this year as the wind is a pain, lots of dwarf french beans instead.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2015, 13:07 »
Phacelia - what do you think?

Ema

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2015, 14:02 »
Phacelia - what do you think?

Thanks they look like weeds not tall at all hmmm

xx
Hedging

Started by GardenShed on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 22, 2014, 11:49
by Goosegirl
xx
Fruit trees and hedging

Started by Faz on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post November 05, 2008, 16:39
by Faz
xx
Edible Hedging Plants

Started by kopperdrake on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post April 12, 2009, 22:41
by andtiggertoo
xx
hedging to improve yield

Started by Madame Cholet on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post January 22, 2015, 09:42
by Kristen

Page created in 0.295 seconds with 40 queries.